UKC

Setting Up A Climbing Sectio/Club at Work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mmmhumous 28 Jun 2012
I've been roped into setting up a climbing club at work. I'll be looking through the BMC guides etc shortly but wonderered if there were any pitfalls to be avoided?

In particular:

- Does anyone have any tips on not establishing people up as 'instructors' for newbies (if outdoor) i.e. avoiding putting anything beyond public liability on any of the experienced climbers showing a newbie the ropes?

- The club is being registered as one of my employer's social/sporting sections, and as such the section has to charge a membership fee. Presumably this has implications too?

At present I don't think we'll be able to get BMC affiliation (less than 20 members).

GrahamD 28 Jun 2012
In reply to mmmhumous:

Speak to the BMC. They are really good with this sort of stuff
OP mmmhumous 28 Jun 2012
In reply to GrahamD:

Actually the BMC guidance documents: http://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-club-guidelines?s=6 addresses most of my concerns. The Risk, Responsibility,
Duty of Care and Liability guidline is particularly helpful. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for the BMC
OP mmmhumous 29 Jun 2012
OK, so the only bit I'm on unsure on is public liability insurance for the club/club committee….... (I hate insurance, and the ridiculous litigation culture we now have!!!!!!)

Anyway…….

My understanding is:

That because the club won't have a hut/premises, and isn't an actual entity (company/charity). There's not legal requirement for either the club or committee members to have civil/public liability insurance. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If it is, then, because the ‘club’ will only have a couple of hundred quid’s worth of assists to liquidate if sued, then there’s no real point getting insurance for ‘the club.’

As the committee members do have assets to protect, it is worth them getting suitable insurance to cover them as ‘the organiser’ of any of the club’s crag trips/free-fall abseiling outings/troll-baiting/pub-crawls/meetings in rooms with sharp corners etc.

Does that make anything close to sense?

I’ve contacted the BMC to see if all the committee having individual membership offers the insurance cover which we’d need .…… but other than that one question, the BMC Club guidance answered all my questions and is just generally fantastic!
OP mmmhumous 06 Jul 2012
In reply to mmmhumous:

As always, The BMC have been really helpful..... In short the insurance associated with individual membership won't cover you for organising club events.

I've also talked to the BMC's insurance provided to find out how much a it would cost to insure a non affiliated club. They won't insure. which while a pain in the arse, does mean I've persuaded the rest of the club we need to get BMC club membership.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...