/ Degenerative Disc Disease

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mdh - on 29 Jun 2012
All,

After developing pain in my lower back, following an MRI I've been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in the lowest three discs in my back between L3 and L4, L4 and L5 and L5 and S1.

I've received lots of conflicting advice from my physio, GP, Neurologist, chiropractor, Pilates instructor as to what I can and can't do now.

Does anybody on here have similar injuries and if so how have you tackled it?

My current plan of attack is indoor gym based exercises such as the cross trainer, and light swimming both breast stroke and front crawl cause some discomfort. And as much pilates as is possible to try and sort out the muscles.

I'm not much of a summer climber but enjoy climbing indoor and getting out a few times in the winter where possible. I'd be keen to know of people with similar problems and how they get around carrying a heavy bag in winter, and generally whether falling affects their back?

Cheers

Matt
chris687 - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to mdh:

Sent you a PM
ads.ukclimbing.com
monkeys on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to mdh:
Not being a pedant, but they're not injuries - ie you'll have to keep working at it, and it won't go away. But, I was diagnosed with similar at 24, now 43. Take no meds and manage fine. It is Management, most of which i now do instintively.
Work on core strength (core training & pilates), don't gain weight (or loose it), pay attention to posture, get the right furniture. Rucksacks - get best weight transfer to hips, so carrying weight below back. Use Vetibax neoprene belt for lumbar area when carrying rucksack, or lifting/carrying. 'Think Back' until you become instinctively good at taking care of it. Regarding degeneration - everyone else catching up with you fast, as they won't be taking such great care as you ! PM me if you like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.