UKC

"Safest" car parks in Font

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StuartCJones 01 Jul 2012
So I understand that the needy of Paris nick stuff from your car while you're out sendin' boulders.

Bastards!

Are there any car parks that are safe?

Do you have any tips for not getting your windows smashed?
 balmybaldwin 01 Jul 2012
In reply to StuartCJones:

Leave your car empty, and obviously empty.

Going to the busier areas means there's more people about to keep an eye on things e.g. Cuvier, but it also means there's more cars so attracts the buggers. I would think the safest place would be at Apremont in front of the Cafe

In the 7 or so times I've been, the only time I've ever seen evidence of thefts from cars, it was at Canche Au Merciers car park
 Richard Baynes 01 Jul 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Beware of groups of youths playing football in or around the car park. They wait till you're gone then rob your car, before pretending they are all innocent when you get back. And when you go to the police over your missing stuff make sure your wife doesn't make them laugh too hard by trying out her massively incompetent French on 'em.
 patsaunders 01 Jul 2012
In reply to StuartCJones: been the last 5 years at least 4 times a year and never had a problem, noticed this year the gendarmes patrolling the car parks. Just don't leave anything on display that would tempt them!
 Trangia 01 Jul 2012
In reply to StuartCJones:

It's been a problem for years and seems to go in waves. I suspect the culprits get caught, do time then, on release go back to thieving. About 10 years ago there was a gang operating out of Paris from a big white van. They could "clean out" out a car park in 2 mins flat, by smashing the windscreen or side/rear window, sweep all the contents into a dustbin bag and be gone before you could react, even if you were bouldering just a few hundred yards or so away. They acted so swiftly that even car alarms didn't deter them.

They also target Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery car parks on the Somme, and go particularly for GB plated cars.

A mate of mine had his car cleaned out at the Grez Sur Loing Campsite having left the car just outside outside overnight when they got back from a meal out. The campsite gates are locked at 10 pm.

No car park is safe and as others have said leave your car completely empty, the parcel shelf off, and the glove box open so that thieves can see there is nothing in the car. Even then if you are unlucky you may still get the windscreen/side/rear windows smashed.

The best thing is to leave your car at the campsite and walk to the rocks if that's possible, or leave the car in a well frequented place like outside one of the forest cafes. If you have any non climbers in the party persuade them to sit and sunbathe/read a book within sight of the car.

It's not unique to France though. I returned from climbing Puig Campana in Spain to find that the door lock on the hire car had been cut out and the door forced open. We had left nothing in the car, but had to pay the excess for the damage to the car hire company. In Spain thieves target hire cars, and I now always peel off their adverising sticker when I hire the car.

exploringtim 02 Jul 2012
In reply to patsaunders:

Yup, just got back from Font today and around the Trois Pignons areas we saw the Gendarmes a bunch of times patrolling around the car parks on horse back. Whilst we weren't driving, I didn't see any evidence of break ins, and the car parks were fairly empty. I'd probably go with the other advice of leaving your ride at the car park and just walking in... its a beautiful trek anyway

Cheers!
OP StuartCJones 02 Jul 2012
Thanks for all the info guys, that's really helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...