UKC

Basha's and tarps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 happy_c 01 Jul 2012
Hey everyone,

I tend to use my rab storm for sleeping in, but im fed of of ending up wet either due to getting in and out, or unzipping it during the night (without realising!) so im now considering getting a basha/tarp to use with a walking pole ive got just to help that little bit more.

My question is which one and what size? I know if you buy a cheap one you may as well just have a one man tent which i do, but i still prefer the idea of a bivi/tarp.

Also what size? I can get a groundsheet from work in any size with eyelets for next to nothing that can go into my rucksack unnoticed lead flat, so why bother spending a lot of money?

Any advice or experiences with any tarps would be brilliant
All the best
Andy
 Sharp 01 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c: I've never got on that great with them, I think lots of practice and patience is a prerequisite for getting any enjoyment/sleep with them.
Having said that I can see the attraction and I can see if you were proficient at putting it up in a variety of different ways it would be a nice way to camp.

The differences you'll get with a bought one is that it will be lighter, the fabric might tension better and there will be eyelets in sensible places. Try looking at the alp kit ones as a starting point.

Ben
 mattc 01 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c: The army ones are good the easyst way is to set it up in woods/between trees with bundgie cords and use a bivi bag. I find it better not to have a ground sheet as they hold the water if it rains.
 Boydfest 01 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c: Check on army surplus. Don't get the very cheap ones as they're heavy, but mid range are grand. I used one for ages until I got a hooped bivvy. But still use them camping in forests on canoe trips. Just the small size is grand.
skarabrae 01 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c: google dd hammocks or tenth wonder hammocks
Both do excellent tarps of varying weights n sizes.
 Ross McGibbon 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Sharp:
You could split an orange survival bag to make a big sheet, add some grommets so you can peg it and use that. It's been my bivi system for 20 years......
 thin bob 02 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:
Yep! I've got a DD poncho that doubles as a shelter...bit heavier, but great ..
 StuMsg 02 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c:
I bought a B&Q tarp to try out exactly what you want to try.
It the blue plasticy material. Measure 2.5m x 3m and costs £4.99. It packs down relitivly small and comes with eyelets already in place. Does the job to try out something new.
 SFM 02 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c:

You could have a squizz here to get some ideas/inspiration. Also does a dvd about different systems.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page112.asp
 Ridge 02 Jul 2012
In reply to SFM:

I never realised there were so many expensive ways of spending a miserable night in the pouring rain
 Gordonbp 02 Jul 2012
In reply to StuMsg:

You could get a small climbing club meet under that!
We used to have to bivvy with the standard issue poncho which was about 6' x 3' - but then our needs were a bit different!
In reply to happy_c: I have a wild country (terra nova) adventure tarp 1, was about £30 from sports direct online shop, should pitch over the entire length of your bivi with room to spare, but isnt too big or heavy, i stuff mine into a 1l ultralight dry bag by exped which means you can pack it down tiny if you squash the air out. also, its reasonably light at around 350g but absolutely bomber bit of kit, with eyelets and sewn tape for different rigging positions. You do have to add cord for guylines, but 15ft of paracord is about £3-6. Ive used this setup with a bivi cover in good weather as a basha and rigged over my 1 man tent to provide an extra bit of dry space in winter.

Hope that helps any.
 ballsac 12 Jul 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

i'd echo Tenth Wonder tarps - i got a Sargasso, a 500g hexagonal job. its dead easy to use and erect, fairly idiot proof, and pretty hard-wearing. i think i paid about £25 for it and they delivered it FOC because the bloke happened to be going passed my house.

i'm very happy with it, and i'm happy to recommend them to anyone.
In reply to happy_c: The Alpkit tarp reviewed here seems pretty good to me as these things go, but I'm no expert: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/review.php?id=3728
Flat4matt 12 Jul 2012
In reply to happy_c:

Have a crack at making your own! BnQ five quid tarp, cut and adjust to how you want it. Buy a grommet set for a fiver and create pegging points where you feel there is a need for extra tension in the system and hey presto, a lightweight tarp for a tenner
 stonemaster 12 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt: Another vote for one of them el-cheapo blue tarps!
Flat4matt 12 Jul 2012
In reply to stonemaster:

Noooo gotta be green :-D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...