Culture Bunker forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - What are you reading?

Tall Clare - on 01 Jul 2012
Hello all,

Yes, once again, it's the tried, tested and trusted 'what are you reading' thread.

So - what are you reading?

In a slightly uncharacteristic moment of 'getting in there first', I'd like to recommend 'Fiva' by Gordon Stainforth of these here parts. I finished reading it last week whilst on holiday, and felt utterly wrung out and a bit emotional by the end, which I hadn't been expecting at all - as if I'd lived through the epic alongside him and his brother. It feels as if he's nailed his experience completely, right down to the public schoolboy terminology, the all-consuming preoccupation with one's pain, the mindless songs and sayings that haunt us at all the wrong moments.

I think it's very easy to develop a picture of people through their forum postings, and prior to this some of my more significant encounters with Gordon have left me feeling that I was a bantamweight sparring with a heavyweight. His book evens out this perception - it reminds us that we're all human, and we can all screw up, and we can all be terrified. Not all of us are prepared to admit to it though...

So yes, that's my big recommendation. I'll blether on about Kathleen Jamie's sublime 'Sightlines' later.

You?
... not showing 134 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums