UKC

Causey Quarry Theft

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dakidunn 02 Jul 2012
Hello all,
Just a gentle warning about climbing at Causey Quarry near Stanley, County Durham. We were on our SPA course last weekend and whilst rigging some static ropes at the top of the crag, one of our party's entire rack, rucksack and rope bag were stolen from the bottom of the crag by a 'passer by'. Hundreds of pounds worth of gear, which probably won't be insured.
There were about six of us there and several bags left at the bottom of the crag. It may be an idea if anyone climbs there to have someone stay at the base at all times just to look after their group's kit.
I am in my second year of outdoor climbing and was really saddened to experience this behaviour. We normally climb at 'climbers only' crags where there are not too many public passers by, and I think it would put me off climbing there agian. I hope this is an isolated incident and no one else has had anything taken from here or anywhere else.
Best wishes
Mark
 Indy 02 Jul 2012
In reply to dakidunn:

Having had an expensive phone stolen recently all I can say is that these thieves are just plain scum.

Police are just as useless as well.

sorry for the early morning rant!
 EZ 02 Jul 2012
In reply to dakidunn:

Thankfully one of our party fell off a green hold and battered his ankle at Stanage yesterday, so when we hobbled off due to rain and went to Black Rocks for a couple of routes, as the local chav's (they actually do wear trackies tucked in socks with big fake gold and silver chains etc) started to show up, our injured mate was able to sit with the bags to make them look owned! He wouldn't have been able to do anything about it if they had tried to rob but hey. All I can say is thanks Ducan! for falling off mate

He is fine by the way and should be able to go to Spain later this week with a working(ish) ankle for some sunny sport
 Sir Chasm 02 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: You're right, chavs are even worse than those thieving gypos.
 EZ 02 Jul 2012
In reply to Sir Chasm:

Actually the (now pay and display :-O) car park had about 5 caravans and a small lorry on it and I wasn't worried about the owners of those! I was quite pleased for them that they appeared to be 'getting away with it'.
 martinph78 02 Jul 2012
In reply to dakidunn: Not had a problem there myself, but usually have someone stood at the bottom. It's so sh***y at the top we argue about who's going up to rig!

We have never had any bother from anyone passing, most folk just walk past.

Unfortunately I think that you have been unlucky BUT you are right, it is a very public spot and I wouldn't leave anything in obvious view unattended there. Even at "climbers only spots" I don't leave gear unattended if anyone else is around.

SGD 02 Jul 2012
In reply to EZ: I was at black rocks last Monday when a group of lads decided to start lobbing stuff off the top of the promontory over our heads. There is also more graffiti at the belay for stonnis crack. It made us think twice about leaving our bags so we buried them out of sight. It was a worrying experience and has certainly put me off going back. Shame really.
 Carol B 11 Jul 2012
In reply to dakidunn:

Thank you for the info on theft at Causey as I am due to go there later today if dry. I have notified the club I climb with as well. Thanks again. Carol
Andy L 10 Aug 2012
In reply to dakidunn: Causey is a well known criminal hotspot, if its not gearat the crag then cars are done over. Club avoids this cragfor that reason, also strange goings on when it gets dark!
Andy L 10 Aug 2012
In reply to dakidunn: Causey is a well known criminal hotspot, if its not gearat the crag then cars are done over. Club avoids this cragfor that reason, also strange goings on when it gets dark!
Sarah G 11 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy L:
In the past few years the picnic areas at Causey Mill and Beamish have been closed; I have noticed an increase in lone blokes waiting in cars near the Headley Hall woodland trust place (and no, they don't have dogs with them either); Causey Arch car park became notorius, and a police presence has helped there but it looks like it is becoming popular as a cruising spot again.

Nice.
 subalpine 11 Aug 2012
In reply to dakidunn: a strategic treecam would catch the miscreants..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...