UKC

Best backpack for heavy loads.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sikcby 08 Jul 2012
Hi there,

Due to a bad and painful shoulder's experience this weekend, caused by my shitty Decathlon backpack I have decided that I need either a "good one" or some advice on how to fill it and carry heavy loads (20-30Kg / 50-60Lbs) properly.

Is there any backpack expert out there who can help me?

I believe that I only need a backpack with more or better padding on the shoulder's area, so any suggestion? Experiences? Anything will help.

Thanks a lot!

Indy 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:

Thats a bit heavy for me but I've heard nothing but good things about Osprey packs in terms of comfort, quality and durability..... you do pay for it mind!
 Hannes 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby: what is your budget?

Is it sitting properly and taking most of the weight on your hips? It doesn't sound like it from your description. Unfortunately cheap rucksacks are generally not great. You might also want to consider carrying less stuff with you
 Mikkel 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:
Old Lowe Alpine 90L sack is the one i have carried the heaviest load in.
i would think getting one where back length fits you is more important than how padded the straps are.
 Jon Wickham 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby: Good backpack brands include:
Osprey Packs
Lowe Alpine
Gregory
Arc'teryx

Why are you carrying such heavy loads?
 Dauphin 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:

Proper packing - i.e bulk of weight in the centre and around your hips / centre of gravity will help - also making sure the hip belt and chest chest are done up properly - there are a few youtube videos on this. On the other hand if you are not used to carrying 20-30kg over elevation and distance then it's a world of pain.

D
 Sharp 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby: Fit is much more important than padding, the comfiest sack I have has no padding on the hip belt, minimal padding on the straps/back and no adjustment. But it fits me really well.

I used to have a 100l military style bag and it was hellish to carry, mainly because I'm quite narrow in the shoulders and it was obviously designed for someone bigger. Try and get one that fits your body type well, I use a macpac for heavier loads now and it's not too bad. Most bigger sacks have good back adjustments or different lengths but make sure the shoulder straps are in the right place for you. If you buy a bag where the shoulders sit wide it'll put the weight on the outside of your shoulder, if it's too narrow for you it will cut into your neck.

In terms of carrying heavy loads properly, unfortunately 50lb plus is at best going to be uncomfortable after a few hours. Keep the heaviest items central and close to your back. Most people find getting the weight sitting on their hips helps. I find making adjustments as I walk helps to distribute the pain throughout the day making things a bit more bearable. Stuffing your hat or gloves under the shoulders sometimes gives a bit of variation.

If you're expecting chaffing (i.e. a multi day trip, heavy load, hot weather and just a base layer on) then tape up before hand and save youself the misery of having your skin exfoliated.

The best thing you can do is buy a smaller bag which will force you to take less. The heavier your load is the less you need to add to make it worse, if that makes sense. For example the difference between 20lb and 30lb isn't great but the difference between 50lb and 60lb is. The best way is always going to be to try and reduce your load, even if it's just a little but if you really need to take a lot of weight (for e.g. carrying coal to a bothy) unfortunately it's just going to be a suffer fest!

Ben
valjean 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:

im a big fan of Dana Design packs.. they got bought out by marmot. Not sure on the quality of the marmot packs, but the older danas are great packs
OP sikcby 08 Jul 2012
Hey thanks everyone!
OP sikcby 08 Jul 2012
Youtube knows it all...

youtube.com/watch?v=H5kmSReIx40&
 thin bob 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:
What kind of loads? if it's a radio or batteries/coal, maybe think about a frame pack.

You might get some advice from outdoors magic.

that does sound pretty heavy (though a lot of us used to carry that sort of weight in the 70's/80's)..a good hipbelt really helps. Go to a shop, load it up with the weight & see how it feels..chest strap might help.

I'd also reccommend osprey to try, lowe alpine. Surprisingly, a black diamond 'cliombing style' pack with a fairly minimal waistbelt is v comfy & fits with heavy weights.
 David Hooper 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby: i used to do a lot of heavy expedition carrying and the very best pace I found for load carrying comfort was Macpac. Only disadvantage was that they were quite a heavy sac when empty. Worth it for the comfort and durability though.
 thin bob 08 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:
Agree with David..just remembered a macpac torrent (?) i used to go camping with..loaded with all sorts of crap!

also: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/2/UTN/53944/last/1/...
OP sikcby 09 Jul 2012
Yeah, Macpacs looks great...

Well I think I have a nice wish list here:

Macpac Cascade 65 or Torlesse 65
Grivel Alpine 45+10
Lowe Alpine Makalu 65:85
Osprey Aether 70
Marmot Odin 50 plus
Mammut Hero Pro
Berghaus Verden 65

And now, all I have to do is to go to all the mountain equipment shops here in Madrid and see if I find some pack that fits my back.

Thank you all for the information and advices, they have been really helpful.
OP sikcby 09 Jul 2012
Necesitaba ponerlo...

youtube.com/watch?v=Tbv8j2b5FT8&
 TMM 09 Jul 2012
In reply to David Hooper:
> (In reply to sikcby) i used to do a lot of heavy expedition carrying and the very best pace I found for load carrying comfort was Macpac. Only disadvantage was that they were quite a heavy sac when empty. Worth it for the comfort and durability though.

I will happily second the Macpac suggestion. Great packs without too many daft features and made to durable. The downside as David has already noted is the weight. However for loads over 20Kg I will sacrifice pack weight for a good carry. I'd rather carry 22Kg in comfort than 19Kg in misery!
m0unt41n 09 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:
Arcteryx Bora 95 - mine is the size 3 so its over 100 litres. Loads of padding and very comfortable for 25Kg to 30Kg loads. Problems are that weighs about 3.5Kg, the side zip is pointless and I dont really like having a bottom compartment. Designed with the top shaped as a cut out so you dont bang your head against it when looking up.

Podsac Xpod - again mine is large so about 90 litres, not as much padding as Arcteryx but only weighs about 2Kg. Can strip it easily, nice clean design, but unlike Bora if full you hit the back of your head on lid if looking upwards.

But all weight should be on hips, both above were good at this, with shoulder straps to stabilise.
Flat4matt 09 Jul 2012
In reply to sikcby:

Army 100l bergen! Being as theyre built for war theyre pretty much bombproof and designed for carrying the world on your back!! If your shoulder straps are digging in, buy a 5pound roll mat, cut it up and bostik or tape a 16in x 3in strip of the roll mat on each shoulder strap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...