UKC

recomend gear for a begginer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
spideypig 09 Jul 2012
Hi, I've been climbing on and off (maybe 4 times a year) since I was at school. I want to get more into climbing and looking to buy some gear. I'm looking for a list of the basics needed for climbing indoors. Budget needs to be fairly low as it will be a beginner set. Once I'm more confident and get stuck in more I'll look to upgrade. cheers scott
 fire_munki 09 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig:
Harness, belay plate and locking krab, and a piar of shoes.
If you're just starting you could even skip everything bar shoes and boulder/rent a harness.
spideypig 09 Jul 2012
Thanks very much for the replys, rental gear is not an option I'd prefer my own gear, can youbrecomend any shops online or walk in (bradford/leeds).
Cheers scotty
 thedatastream 09 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig:

Some climbing walls (like Rokt) do deals on harness / belay device / karabiner packages

Otherwise you could pop into the Leeds Wall http://www.theleedswallshop.co.uk/ as they've got a good shop

Shoes + chalk for bouldering
Add harness, belay device and krab for roped stuff
 muppetfilter 09 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig: I will second the leeds wall, they tend to have quite a few pairs of cheap end of line boots knocking about. Its worth going along to just try various boots on untill you find one that fits you well.
 oddtoast 09 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig:
Don't know what their prices are like normally but if you ever go to Harrogate wall they currently seem to have an offer of 15% off any harness, shoes, & belay device so you can mix and match.

http://www.harrogateclimbingcentre.com/new-rock-shop-deals/

I've also bought some stuff at Cotswold Outdoor in Harrogate and they are really friendly and do good discounts.

I bought my harness at the wall I learnt at because I got a money off voucher - was useful because you can try lots on and sit in them hanging off a rope and find out what's more comfy for you - so a shop with that facility def better than t'internet (and obviously same for shoes).
 muppetfilter 09 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig: There is also GoOutdoors who will price match and add 10% discount for items you find cheaper elsewhere.
PixieNinja 12 Jul 2012
In reply to spideypig: Hi, have you thought of second hand gear? (there's the sale section on here) I've done that with shoes and harness, and although i know they will need replacing sooner than normal they're doing great. bare in mind you'd have to really check it over, or get climbing mates to, to ensure condition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...