UKC

Standing Stones, Ravenstones or Rylstone on Sunday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 13 Jul 2012
Hi
I have got my new Over the Moors Guide and very good it is to, and it has got me pshyced, BUT will Standing Stones or Ravenstones be green after all this rain and would Rylstone be a better option for Sunday.
Cheers sjc
 ste_d 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:

standing will be a better bet than raven stones
J1234 13 Jul 2012
In reply to ste_d:
Cheers for that. Is Standing stones green at the moment?
Removed User 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc: much seepage likely at standing stones, even more at raven if sat is wet as forecast. dovestones a better bet
in chew
 ste_d 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:

not been for a while, should be ok on sunday though given the forecast, there might be some seepage still but there will be some dry stuff to do i'm sure
J1234 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:
Cheers, it`s sounding like Rylstone could be the better bet this weekend.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:

Rylstone faces northish, Standing Stones faces south!

Chris
J1234 13 Jul 2012
In reply to Chris Craggs:
Hi Chris,
I bow to your wisdom on these matters, but could you elaborate.
sjc
 craig h 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:

Dovestones would be very green, it only gets the afternoon sun and it's pissing down here for a change!

Best bets in the Chew would be Robs Rocks, Alderman Rocks, Den Lane, and some of the routes below the Standing Stones. If you're lucky the odd climb in Running Hill Pits and the Wimberry Boulders may be dry as long as the rain stops. Pule Hill also drys quickly, but again just gets the afternoon sun if it's out.
 EeeByGum 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc: Crumbs - you have chosen two north facing crags (Rylstone and Ravenstones) and one south facing seepage prone crag. If you are after a sure bet, all carry their own risks. If they really are the only options, I would go for Standing Stones because at least you won't have a long walk into find conditions less than desirable.
J1234 13 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:
It looks quite sunny for sunday and I did not think of seepage at Rylstone, whats the problem, seriously, certainly a long way from learnt up.
 Offwidth 13 Jul 2012
In reply to craig h:

I'm with you on the best bets. Im not so sure the routes below Standing Stones are worth it.. unless you mean the Ocean Wall area? I'd guess Rylstone being NW facing after all this rain need a drier spell.
 Offwidth 13 Jul 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: Standing Stones is a bit further with the new approach.
 craig h 13 Jul 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

There's some good routes lurking in the boulder field below the main crag, and none of them seap
 Offwidth 14 Jul 2012
In reply to craig h:

I know, but there is a difference between good routes for locals who've done almost everything and something worth driving a long way for and climbing before most anything else!
 craig h 14 Jul 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

:p It's been dry all day in the Chew and the forecast is good for tomorrow, something will be in condition even if it is just an extended boulder problem at the Standing Stones
Removed User 15 Jul 2012
In reply to craig h: Dovestones was dry and non too green on last Saturday after all rain. I have no doubt it'll be in reasonable condition tomorrow.
 woodsy 15 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:
You dipstick
'I have got a new guide for w peak area and am so excited by it I am going climbing...in yorkshire'
Was a cock
 woodsy 15 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc:
What a cock
 PD 15 Jul 2012
In reply to sjc: Standing was dry'ish yesterday (bit of seepage here and there), Dovs Edge slabs/faces dry, Alderman bone dry, Upperwood, Oven Stones and parts of Pots n'Pans dry - sun out currently here in The Chew, fairly windy as well should be drying stuff out nicely....
 ste_d 15 Jul 2012
In reply to craig h:

Nah the break will have a small amount of seepage rendering this problem unclimbable :-?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...