UKC

Good one day outings around Kendal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 16 Jul 2012
Hi all, looking for some ideas for some nice road rides around Kendal for me and MrsD. We can drive a little way if needed.

Neither of us are hard core so only looking at 50miles or so. Also I suspect that things like Wrynose is probably out of our compass (in fact I know it is, having ended up walking up the last section a couple of years back!)
G Graham 16 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:
Out through Troutbeck, up Kirkstone Pass (not bad from this direction) down along Ullswater and back around down the A6 (not that busy). It's about 60miles and really top notch.
Also, down through Endmoor, out towards Barbon, then Dent, Sedbergh, Kirkby Stephen, Tebay (along the old Kelleth road), then A685 back to Kendal.
Or the same as above but over the old coal road, then Mallerstang, Kirkby Stephen etc.
All the above are extremely nice and not too brutal hill wise.
In reply to G Graham:

The Coal Road "not too brutal"? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

ALC
OP GrahamD 16 Jul 2012
In reply to G Graham:

Some good ideas there. I like the idea of a 'proper' pass (Kirkstone).
In reply to GrahamD: Kendal, A6, Shap, turn right up to M6 then R to Orton, Tebay, back to Kendal.
 Pagan 23 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:

Kirkstone is ace (as are all the Lakes passes) - can get busy with traffic though, especially at weekends and during the holidays.

The network of lanes between Kendal and Grange-over-Sands, or towards Carnforth via the Silverdale area are delightful - you can make these up as you go along, it's a great area for just exploring.
 MHutch 24 Jul 2012
In reply to GrahamD:

Coal road (1750ft summit) will feel a bit like a proper pass...

I pointed my MTB up it on Saturday from the Dent side and stayed out of the granny to get a bit of the roadie experience...was blowing out of my **** by Dent Station.
OP GrahamD 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Pagan:

I can feel a long day (for us) coming on with an early start over Kirkstone...
OP GrahamD 24 Jul 2012
In reply to MHutch:

I suspect its the granniest gear I've got for most of it !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...