UKC

Metolius Master vs Totem Basic Cam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Jul 2012
Thinking of investing in some new toys, any experience of/ opinions of Master or Basic Cams? Cheers Dave
 Aigen 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed UserHOLTY: Without a doubt Totem Basic Cams. Caming angle too small on M.C so will get stuck all the time, The sling is also tiny so you will need to put a draw on M.C most of the time, and Salt air/water kills Metolius cams.
 oliverk 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed UserHOLTY:

Agree with previous post. Master Cams are prone to getting stuck. Have used Aliens and they were great, but the Totem cams don't seem to be available in the smallest sizes yet, so I currently use a size 1 and 0 Master cam as I haven't found anything better yet.
 Ander 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed UserHOLTY:

I own both. I've got MC's in 0 and 1 size, think they're great. Yes, the cam angle does mean you have to place them more carefully- but on the plus side the cam angle means they grip better- which is a bonus on smaller cams.

The Basic Cam... well i'm not yet 100% sold.

You might find this interesting

http://www.rockclimbing.com/Articles/Gear_and_Reviews/Metolius_Master_Cam_E...

Aigen 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed UserHOLTY: Get a Black and Blue from Fixe and get a Green and Yellow from Totem.
 kingholmesy 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Aigen:
> (In reply to HOLTY) Get a Black and Blue from Fixe and get a Green and Yellow from Totem.

That sounds like a winner. I had Master Cams in sizes 0 and 1. The springs on one of the cam heads on the size 0 broke after only a little use.

I replaced it (and smaller) with Wild Country Zeros as I wasn't aware of the Fixe cams, and the Totem Basic cams don't go that small.

Had I known about them I probably would have gone for the Fixe cams instead, but the Zeros have actually been pretty good so far. They have a slightly wider head, but I quite like the double sling.
 Sharp 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed UserHOLTY: A few people saying the master cams will get stuck. I'd be interested to hear how often this has happened to them as I've never had a problem with cleaning them.

If you don't normally extend your cams then the lack of a longer sling might be an issue, if you usually extend your cams anyway then it's irrelevant.

Walking has been flagged up as an issue by people both because of the sling length and because of the narrow head width. This is probably more noticable in the larger sizes. The triggers seem to be quite stiff though which can help keep them in place.

Search the articles on here for master cams, their was a useful review a while back.

ben

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...