UKC

Wrist injury - not tfcc (I hope)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Schnell 17 Jul 2012
Jus looking for some advice on injury diagnosis/ treatment. I've had cumulative pain in my wrist for a while which I've been managing fairly successfully, but it's not going away either. It seems like classic tfcc from too much pulling on slopers.

It built up slowly rather than starting with a pop. However from what I've read most people with tfcc get pain on the ulnar side of their wrist, whereas mine is on my thumb side. There's a sore lump there just under my wrist joint, but it's on the other hand too so it's not a result of the injury. Some weeks it's fine if I tape it and stay away from things that irritate it, i.e. slopers and especially pinches, which makes me think it might be thumb related. Whereas other times it hurts doing gentle warmups

For what it's worth I think I might have gotten the injury using one of those stupid gripmasters that someone got me as a present, at least pinching that is the first thing I associate with this sort of wrist pain.

Any advice would be very appreciated. I've picked up a finger tendon strain as well so I don't mind taking some time off to rest. However I already rested it for nearly three months before because I was on a cycling trip, and when I came back to climbing the injury reappeared slowly, so it doesn't seem like long term rest will do. Anyway after reading about tfcc I really hope it's not that, as it seems incredibly difficult to get rid of.

Thanks
 John_Hat 17 Jul 2012
In reply to Schnell:

Sounds like you've overcooked your tendons - or at least I had similar symptoms and six months rest was not enough - it still re-appears occasionally. I'm no doctor or physio though and the wrist is incredibly complex, so see if your doctor or physio will refer you for an MRI scan.
Schnell 18 Jul 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Probably true, I should just suck it up and go to the physio. I'll have to try and find a reasonably climbing savvy physio though and I don't know if such a thing exists where I am (Dublin).
Schnell 29 Jul 2012
In reply to Schnell:

In case anyone has a similar injury and is interested: I did go to the physio who diagnosed tendonitis all over the place and prescribed eccentric wrist extensions. She said that if I didn't see improvement in two weeks I should get an xray to check for cartilage damage. I've been doing the exercises for the past 10 days and doing very easy climbing and it has made a big difference. I amshocked at how quickly I am seeing improvement vs. previously when I was just resting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...