UKC

Recommend me a cycle computer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jacobfinn 18 Jul 2012
I've started to haul my arse off of the sofa and get on my road bike more in an effort to get fitter. Up until now I've not been that bothered with how long its taken me to do one of my various circuits. However, I may have to bite the bullet and engage in some technology to help me train.

Can someone recommend a cycle computer for under £50? Would need the usual things like speed (av, max), distance, trip etc.

Is it worth measuring cadence or is this a stat too far?

I was thinking along the lines of this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-strada-cadence-cycle-computer/
 NIGBEE 18 Jul 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

Get a cheap one from Aldi.
OP jacobfinn 18 Jul 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: Why?
 NIGBEE 18 Jul 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:

Because it works just as well as a £20 - £30 one for about £3.99 and all wired computers break.

I now have got an Edge 800 that I transfer between all my bikes, now that is worth paying for but its over your £50 budget.
 woolsack 18 Jul 2012
In reply to jacobfinn: I have that Cateye one, it works well and is easy to use. It's pretty small so if your eyes are a bit dicky you might want something a bit bigger. Cadence is very useful at times
 Horse 18 Jul 2012
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to jacobfinn) It's pretty small so if your eyes are a bit dicky you might want something a bit bigger.

I found getting a pair of glasses solved that problem

Worth paying a bit extra for cadence.
In reply to jacobfinn:

I've got a Cateye Cadence on my good bike, but have a cheap Tesco one on my hack that cost about £17.

If truth be told I prefer the display of the Tesco one - particularly its ability to scroll automatically through average speed, cadence, distance and time ridden displays - which is very handy when you're riding a time trial -- you don't have to keep pressing a button when you want to see a different stat.
 woolsack 18 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: I still haven't managed to find a magnifying glass powerful enough to read the instructions for my Tesco one!
 vark 19 Jul 2012
In reply to jacobfinn:
Get something that will work with Strava. It gets rather addictive.
I just use my iPhone
 Voltemands 19 Jul 2012
In reply to NIGBEE: I second this. Got mine from Lidl ~3 years ago for £3. Still going strong, no battery changes or problems. It provides av/max speed, distance, duration and time. And that's on the basic mode, it has an advanced with other features that I don't use (including being able to switch between two users or different bikes)
pasbury 19 Jul 2012
In reply to woolsack:

I've used a Cateye one but found that in winter it gets interfered with by my LED light and just stops receiving. I'm not sure if this is unique to Cateye.
 rallymania 19 Jul 2012
In reply to pasbury:

was it wireless?
pasbury 19 Jul 2012
In reply to rallymania:

Yes wirelss computer and an L&M Vega light. It could be just an unfortunate combination but I have seen it mentioned in cycling forums.

I'll go for a wired computer next time.
bullandbladder 19 Jul 2012
In reply to jacobfinn: One of these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cateye-micro-wireless-cycle-computer/?utm_source=go...

Or save up for the Garmin Edge 800 - fantastic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...