UKC

A few questions about job references

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Jul 2012
How important are they and do employers always check them? I can see taht it may be important for 'professional' jobs but what about lower paid stuff. I'm at the stage now where unless there's something specifically barring me from a job, i.e. lack of a qualification, then I apply. Anything and everything. I got an application form through for a kitchen assistant job. 8 pages and demanding at least 2 previous employer references, including the most recent. For washing dishes and chopping carrots, c'mon.
And they always ask for your most recent employer. Most recently I was self-employed so who do I put. Also, taking 15 years of that into account, plus a few years of unemployment, the last time I had an employer was 1994. They don't even trade in this country any more so how do I supply names addresses telephone no. etc?
What Goes Up 20 Jul 2012
In reply to aln: I generally find that references these days aren't worth the paper they're written on for all they tell you. However a lack of references looks pretty dodgy.

Don't worry if you haven't had a recent employer - just use people / companies who have known you in a professional capacity one way or another (as long as they're reasonably meaningful). People should understand the self-employed thing.
 Alan Dixon 20 Jul 2012
In reply to aln:

References now-a-days have lost some impetus because it is against the law to give a bad one. Most companies now just give references to confirm dates of employment and may include amount of sick days taken.

If you were previously self employed we (I am a recruiter) normally ask for a reference from your accountant or lawyer or somethign like that. If in doubt just put down a character reference who is a non relation.

References are often not followed up and can go unchecked but in the instance they are any irregularities will be highlighted.
 Liam M 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Alan Dixon:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> References now-a-days have lost some impetus because it is against the law to give a bad one.

Is it actually unlawful, or just that most don't want to have to put together a case to defend a negative reference if questioned. So they avoid anything other than dry facts.

tspoon1981 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Liam M: I believe it is illegal to give a bad reference, but you can refuse to give a reference if called/e-mailed by a potential employer of an ex-employee. Which says more than a negative reference anyway.
 hokkyokusei 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to Alan Dixon)
> [...]
>
> Is it actually unlawful, or just that most don't want to have to put together a case to defend a negative reference if questioned. So they avoid anything other than dry facts.

Exactly this.
 Indy 20 Jul 2012
In reply to Alan Dixon:
> (In reply to aln)
>
> References now-a-days have lost some impetus because it is against the law to give a bad one.

I just don't understand where people get that from and why it gets repeated almost religiously?

The FACTS are your old employer is under no obligation to give one (most don't because of the hassle see below) The only way the law gets involved is if the reference is UNTRUTHFUL. If you got sacked for stealing and your reference says your highly trustworthy then your new employer could sue if you steal from them. Also if your old employer says your incompetent then if that again proves to be untrue you can sue.

As per above most employers play it safe and just say " John Smith was employed at Acme Traders from 1/7/2000 to 20/7/2012 as a computer programmer with the duties of X,Y,Z"
 Sharp 21 Jul 2012
In reply to aln: References always look better. Regardless of how meaningful/meaningless a CV with references attached looks a lot better than one without.

Ben
 Trangia 21 Jul 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:
> (In reply to Liam M) I believe it is illegal to give a bad reference, but you can refuse to give a reference if called/e-mailed by a potential employer of an ex-employee. Which says more than a negative reference anyway.

Something I have unfortunately had to do a number of times both for past bad employees and more often for past bad tenants.
 Ridge 22 Jul 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to Alan Dixon)
> [...]
>
> I just don't understand where people get that from and why it gets repeated almost religiously?
>
> The FACTS are your old employer is under no obligation to give one (most don't because of the hassle see below) The only way the law gets involved is if the reference is UNTRUTHFUL. If you got sacked for stealing and your reference says your highly trustworthy then your new employer could sue if you steal from them. Also if your old employer says your incompetent then if that again proves to be untrue you can sue.
>
> As per above most employers play it safe and just say " John Smith was employed at Acme Traders from 1/7/2000 to 20/7/2012 as a computer programmer with the duties of X,Y,Z"

Spot on and worth repeating. It is not, or never has been, 'illegal' to give a bad reference.
 Ridge 23 Jul 2012
In reply to aln:
> I'm at the stage now where unless there's something specifically barring me from a job, i.e. lack of a qualification, then I apply.

I wouldn't let that be a barrier. Sadly most employers will stick a requirement to have a degree on posts that don't need it.

There's always the possibility that HR might bin it anyway, but there's always the chance someone might actually read the covering letter/CV and give you an interview.

I'm not 'qualified' for my job, according to the advert in the paper, but I (obviously) got offered the job in preference to those who were.
OP aln 23 Jul 2012
In reply to aln: Thanks for the replies. Some helpful stuff in there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...