/ Rannoch wall and midges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
siobhan66 - on 23 Jul 2012
Does anyone know what Rannoch wall is like for midges just now? Any information most appreciated. Thanks.

ps hope i'm in the correct forum
Tim Chappell - on 23 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

The midges forum? Now that would be busy :-)
coinneach - on 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Or

" buzzy "
Timmd on 23 Jul 2012
In reply to coinneach:

...and very annoying.
In reply to Tim Chappell: I'm being serious !!!!
Fiend - on 23 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

If there is no wind, you will die a horrible agonising midge death.

If there is wind in the right direction, you will be fine.

It is usually as simple as that this time of year!
In reply to Fiend: Forecast for Wed/Thursday for Glencoe is good but not much wind, a horrible midge death it is then...
stonemaster - on 23 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66: You can always slather on as much Avon skin so soft as your skin will carry...:) Good luck.
Jamie B - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

It's pretty rare to be midged badly on Rannoch Wall - it's usually either cool, breezy or sunny enough to deter them. Tip is to get there early and maximise the time you are in the sun - it faces East and goes into shade at around 2pm.

I must have climbed on Rannoch Wall about thirty-odd times, I can only recall getting midged once. I'd still pack the skin-so-soft and wear long trousers though!
siobhan66 - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: thank you that's helpful and reassuring to know...nothing worse than standing on a belay and being bitten to death !! : )
Fraser on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

It'll undoubtedly be a 5 on the midge forecast site:

http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/
Fraser on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Fraser:

Oh, I'd get some Smidge, rather than Skin So Soft - it's definitely better.
Offwidth - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

Get a midge net and some glooves for the belay. Wear long trousers (tucked into socks) and long sleeves. Jamie's right though: Rannock Wall is often OK if there is any breeze and the morning sun will oft keep them off. On still, humid, cloudy days go scrambling or easy soloing.
Jamie B - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66:

> ...nothing worse than standing on a belay and being bitten to death !! : )

That's not entirely true. Being engulfed in molten lava or tortured by Al Quaida is far worse. Probably..

Offwidth - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Although true, telling that to someone being eaten alive at the King's House camping may cause some pain of your own.
Milesy - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> It's pretty rare to be midged badly on Rannoch Wall - it's usually either cool, breezy or sunny enough to deter them.

Last time I went up the north buttress it was august and we were plagued by them all the way from the car to the summit and back again.
ads.ukclimbing.com
siobhan66 - on 24 Jul 2012
In reply to siobhan66: thanks all for your helpful advice folks..I'll try to remember the molten lava etc torture stuff if we go !! That should temper my pain ! or make my temper painful. Thank you : )

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.