/ Parking at Lands End

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Iain Peters - on 02 Aug 2012
We climbed at Pordenack on Tuesday, an excellent venue with a good selection of routes across the grades and only a short walk from Land's End, BUT, the information on parking at LE in Mark Glaister's Rockfax guide is no longer correct. There is no free parking for bona fide climbers - hasn't been for years apparently. Locals, on production of evidence such as a utility bill or similar proof can park for free, otherwise it's 5!
In reply to Iain Peters:

Hello Iain.

At the time of writing ( West Country Climbs) I parked on a number of occasions at LE and was allowed to park for free (when I mentioned I was a climber) as long as I signed in and did not use the attractions.

This may have changed in very recent times. However I think there was a thread on here a while ago that also found the policy was not applied consistently. Perhaps this is one for the BMC maybe?

All the best

Mark
In reply to Mark Glaister - Assistant Editor:

There you go. http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=471067

Hi Mark,

I was told in no uncertain terms that the concession had been removed, even though I showed the guy the relevant section of your guide.. It seems that the parking fee is also the entrance to the theme park, (which by the time we got back from climbing at 4ish was absolutely rammed).

I'll see what the BMC can do, but talking to Andy March who's currently working on the new CC definitive, he was adamant that the free parking only applies to local residents, and the guide will confirm this.

It's a fair old whack for parking but not much more than an all day ticket at Porthgwarra and the same as the NT carpark at Baggy.

David Barlow - on 02 Aug 2012
I emailed the BMC about this on 20/06/2011 but received no reply (see below). Land's End is still not present in the BMC RAD database.
>>>>>>>>>>
Hi,

This email should probably be sent to Rob Dyer but there's no email address for him on https://www.thebmc.co.uk/Pages.aspx?page=97

Yesterday I went to park at Land's End, Cornwall, to climb there, as I have done in the past. I expected to not pay to park at the Land's End tourist attraction, since I believed the access agreement of free parking for climbers was still in force. However the friendly staff at the entrance stated that the agreement was no longer in place since sometime last year, and that we had to pay, so we did. The guy also stated that new climbing guidebooks still stated that the agreement was valid, which was a bit annoying to them. I don't know which guidebook he meant though (maybe the new Rockfax SW climbs, but that's just speculation).

I have no objection to paying, and it also removes the need to register at the hotel there, which was a bit of a faff. However this change in policy was a surprise, and Land's End is not present in the RAD database. I think you should consider contacting the Land's End site to check that the above is correct, and then posting this information on the BMC website so that other climbers can find out about this change, including adding it to the RAD

Thanks,
David.
<<<
aostaman - on 02 Aug 2012
In reply to Iain Peters: I'm a local and said we were climbers. We were told that the concession was 50% and duly paid 2.50.

In reply to aostaman:
> (In reply to Iain Peters) I'm a local and said we were climbers. We were told that the concession was 50% and duly paid 2.50.

Clarification required I think: such as who qualifies for the local concession? How do they prove it? What's to stop any climber stating that they're "local"?

All in all a very unsatisfactory situation. I don't actually object to paying for car parking, but perhaps the best way forward is for the BMC and the LE company to sort it out.

rossh - on 02 Aug 2012
In reply to Iain Peters:

I climber their two weeks ago and I was told the price for climbers to park was 3. I am not a local and was not asked if I was either. We paid the 3 which to be honest seemed reasonable enough.

As the chap above paid a different price there is obviously as much confusion about the policy amongst the staff at Lands End as there is on here.
In reply to Iain Peters:

I have emailed Rob Dyer @ BMC with the link to this thread.
Tom Last - on 02 Aug 2012
In reply to Iain Peters:

The situation has been confused for a number of years. I have been variously asked to pay 5 regardless of being a climber and 1 on production of a rope and occasionally got in for free.

Andy's information is almost certainly correct I reckon, given that he's down there more than most. Seem to remember he said that the original concession was revoked since the place changed hands, but that as you say on production of proof of address, you can park for free. I'm not sure how local you have to be, not much point if you're from Sennen! Presumably just this side of the Tamar?

The signing in was a faff and being to forgetful sort, I was always concerned about provoking an uncalled-for rescue.

As someone said, it's the same price as Porthgwarra, although if you're climbing in this area, there is free parking nearby(ish).

Pordenack is brilliant anyway isn't it! :)
Andy2 - on 02 Aug 2012
In reply to Southern Man: The free parking for local people works as follows, AFAIK-

The Lands End company put an advert in the local paper in early spring. you turn up at their reception on the advertised day with a utility bill, they register you and give you a car sticker, which says 'Lands End Local Pass"

This car sticker also entitles you to free parking anywhere in St Just (even in the middle of the road).

HTH

Rob Dyer, BMC - on 02 Aug 2012
In reply to all: I've sent the Lands End Company an email asking them to clarify the situation. I'll post an update on here when I hear back.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access Officer
In reply to Andy2:

Hello Andy

I see that from the above post that the agreement was changed after West Country Climbs was published. If you can let me know the exact details of the new agreement I will put it up on the Rockfax News Page. Thanks Mark

Mark,

According to the guy on the gate the walkers/climbers parking concession had been removed quite a few years' ago.

In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Iain Peters)
>
>
> Pordenack is brilliant anyway isn't it! :)

Yup, really surprised that more folk don't go there: easy walk, straightforward approach, fairly friendly tide-wise, and as I said a spread of grades. The rock is a little crunchy in places, but the gear's good.

In reply to Iain Peters: Iain - Not according to the above post by Dave Barlow or my experience.
> (In reply to Iain Peters) Iain - Not according to the above post by Dave Barlow or my experience.

Very strange. Admittedly this was my first visit to Land's End for many years. I suppose the problem is basically the inconsistency. Hopefully, Rob Dyer will soon get a response from the owners. I just hope this isn't the first step in attempting to make access to the crags as difficult as possible.

In reply to Iain Peters: Hi Iain - I would not of thought that access to the crags was at risk personally - esp with the new coastal access that is being rolled out. However I would think that the free or discounted parking for locals is well worth sorting out. As a visitor it is rare to not have to pay to park in tourist areas (I paid 6.50 at the Old DG National Trust car park in Langdale on tuesday).
Rob Dyer, BMC - on 17 Sep 2012
In reply to all: Hi all, I've just heard back from Phillippa at Lands End-Landmark and she is happy to offer climbers a reduced price for parking of 2 per day (down from 5). I'm just sorting out the finer details now and will update RAD once it's sorted, but hopefully this will put an end to any confusion that has arisen recently. Many thanks to Phillippa for sorting this out for climbers.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Thanks very much Rob
Tom Last - on 17 Sep 2012

Good job Rob, thanks.
Stone Muppet - on 17 Sep 2012
Aye nice one Rob!
Iain Peters - on 18 Sep 2012

Good news Rob and thanks for your efforts. We now have reasonable parking charges at both Chair Ladder (3.50 per day) and Land's End. Probably works out at about .5p per route!
Coel Hellier - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Iain Peters:

> We now have reasonable parking charges at both Chair Ladder (3.50 per day) and Land's End.
> Probably works out at about .5p per route!

Heck Iain, you climb a lot of routes in a day!
Iain Peters - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Coel Hellier:

That's just before breakfast, leaving the N coast for the afternoon after a liquid lonc at the Old Success in Sennen :-)
Skip - on 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Iain Peters: This needs clarification. They charged me 3 today, i argued and the response was " Yea my mate charges 3, i charge 2.
Tom Last - on 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Skip:

Seems the same problem still exists as existed all along, despite Rob's best efforts. Namely, that whatever the policy, the staff don't seem to be aware of it.
Skip - on 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Skip:
> (In reply to Iain Peters) This needs clarification. They charged me 3 today, i argued and the response was " Yea my mate charges 3, i charge 2.

Wrong way round, "My mate charges 2, i charge 3"

Cheese Monkey - on 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Iain Peters: When I was there on Monday we couldn't find anyone to ask for the concession. Paid at the meter and it was nowhere near 5?
Steph-in-the-West on 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Southern Man: I went to Land's End on Tuesday. Told the attendant we were climbers. He said it was no longer free but the concession was 2. The ticket then allows a further 7 consecutive days' climbing. We did the first 4 pitches of Land's End Long Climb. Returned on Wednesday and finished it off. Climbed at Pordenack to-day - so 3 days' climbing for 2 - bargain. Still a bargain at 3 or 5 as long as you plan your climbing down west to take advantage of the free parking after the initial outlay.
Tom Last - on 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Steph-in-the-West:

Looks like some have got the message then and yes I don't dispute that's very cheap - hopefully we'll have some consistency now.
Bruce Hooker - on 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Southern Man:

Why should you have to pay at all though? In Sussex parking meters have sprung up in many previously free parking places, it's part of a dismal trend.
Tom Last - on 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Well I'm not sure that you should. However their reason, justified or otherwise, would likely be that payment pays for the maintenance of the car park, it being privately owned.

Basically, their can't really expect people to pay to go in their gaudy theme park, but know there'll be a lot of visitors to Lands End regardless. So they charge for the parking instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.