Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Rope advice for Mont Blanc

saz_b - on 02 Aug 2012
I am looking for a short-rope for Mont Blanc, most likely Gouter route in a party of 2, so reckon 20-30m length of something light. There's a "glacier line" rope (30mx8.1mm) around for about 60

As I want another half rope to match my current half-rope (50m mammut genesis 8.5mm), I'm thinking to: buy a dry 70m half rope, cut it into a 20m and 50m length; 20m is to be used to rope together for anything sketchy on MB, and the other 50m will be my 'other half' - cheap at under 100.

Think these are my options:

1: 70m mammut phoenix (8mm) - 145. Super light, not hardwearing.
2: 70m edelrid kestrel (8.5mm) - 140. Matches dia, but I have no personal experience with their ropes.
3: Get a 50m genesis AND iceline - 170 total. 10m more rope on the shortrope, but more money.

I climb mainly sport and UK trad, but want a versatile rope system to use on Alpine and ice in the future.

Any recommendations or any tricks missed? Is a 30m 8.1mm rope really useful, or could I live with 20m? I appreciate the 8mm phoenix won't last as long, but a superlightweight rope is appealing!
... not showing 28 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums