UKC

NEWS: Tunisia's First Sport Climbing is Born

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 03 Aug 2012
Beraka allah fika - 8a, 4 kbIn this report Youri Picart from Grenoble University tells us about a recent bolting mission to Tunisia.

"With the support of the local caving club, of Petzl and of the French CNDS (National Centre for Sports Development), we bolted twenty-five new sport routes (from 4a to 8a), and four multi-pitch routes (from 6a to 6c). This sparked the founding of the first Tunisian rock climbing club in Zaghouan..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67305

TobyA 03 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News: What a great story. Well done to all concerned - it looks a great area and the route in the main picture looks superb.
 Quarryboy 03 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Good Job! just when you think that every route out there has been done you realise that there are whole countries with probably hundreds of undeveloped crags in them.
 RupertD 03 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News:

That 8a looks fantastic. Also looks pretty runout.
 Dave Williams 03 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News:

I had a close look at these cliffs when I was last in Tunisia in 2008 and was very impressed before some plain clothes security service heavies in leather jackets started to take an unhealthy interest.

I'm not at all surprised this area's been developed; it was only a matter of time. The whole setting's superb too. Tunisia's potential for climbing is huge, with big undeveloped limestone cliffs in the south and south west as well.

It'll make for a far more adventurous sun rock destination than the Costas!

Dave
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort. Congratulations to the team who put all this work in.

2 years ago I did a few new routes in Greece in a very remote area that no one will probably visit for a long time. Ah well.

Now I'm feeling about ready for another thrash with the bolt gun and fancy being involved in a great looking new area like this where the routes will surely see plenty of traffic.

What's the deal with others wanting to come and contribute new routes?

What's the best time of year to visit?

Cheers

Colin
Youri-bis 03 Aug 2012
In reply to colin struthers:

> What's the deal with others wanting to come and contribute new routes?
>

The Djebel Zaghouan is part of a National Natural Park and there is also some military zones.
Before doing anything like bolting new routes you'll need the authorisation from the authorities.

Youri

In reply to Youri-bis:
Do you need permission if you are going to use natural protection in the best tradition of rock climbing? If not possibly we need more of these "authorities" to protect the world's wild places
David
 wiwwim 04 Aug 2012
In reply to David Hillebrandt: sounds like vixen tor...
 Jon_Warner 04 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News: Nice story. The first picture looks awesome.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...