UKC

Obscure Knot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 06 Aug 2012
Hi, can any one help me find a pic of the DIX knot - it will probably be a RM Commando who will be best placed on this one as it was a standard tensioning knot used without the need for clampy, clunky bits of metal?

Also, it will be utterly irrelevant to 'normal' climbing situations but any knot-geeks may well be in a headspin when they read about this 'cause it's not (pun intended) in any book, that can find, and it was simply passed down from one M&AW staff to another and may be lost in the mists.
Thanks, Andy
 JSA 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Cloquet:

Is it anything like the Dolly knot or truckers hitch? both tension without the need for any clunky metal bits.
 tlm 06 Aug 2012

here's a tensioning knot - what are you using it for? Slacklining?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&...
 Ander 06 Aug 2012

Interestingly a guy called dix has written a book all about knots:
www.selfbound.net/storiessz/selfbondage_master1.html

You've mentioned it's a Marine thing- are you sure that this is pukka-no-wah-gen?
OP Andy Cloquet 06 Aug 2012
In reply to JSA: probably - can you give me a pic of the Dolly, please.
In reply to Ander: hey, slow-up you're taking this one down a deviant detour way too early. Let me get some cosha replies, first, then the muck can fly!
 Reach>Talent 06 Aug 2012
There are lots of variations on the general theme of tensioning knots but all the ones I've used seem to be pretty harsh on the rope. Most involve creating a sort of heath robinson z-pully using bights in the rope. I spent some time helping out an a friends parents farm and by the time we'd secured the trailer full of bales using a series of tensioning knots there was more blue poly rope fibers on us than hay!
In reply to Reach>Talent: yea, you're right except this one doesn't do anything than what it says.

I have used it but my problem is, as you can read, I have lost all knowledge of how it was formed (not that there will be a likely situation for its application or use) and in a field test we had a Discovery on full torque pulling a tied of climbing rope: there was no rope deformity.

The fun bit was putting a piece of hand held, tightened cord against the tensioned rope and after three rubs it ripped the sheath and leaving only a few twines of the kern.
I'll keep searching, Andy
andic 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Carolyn:

Thats different to the one I was shown back in the day, but the same sort of thing.

mine goes like this

take a small bight of rope ~2-3" a couple of feet from you attachment

create a hanging loop by coiling two turns of the tail around the bight

pull another bight through the hanging loop, (a-la daisy chaining a rope) hook this bight over your attachment point
pull on the tail to tension and secure with a few hicthes
 OwenM 06 Aug 2012
In reply to andic: What you're describing is what I've always understood as a truckers hitch (and I'm a trucker so should know). What that is in the link I don't know but it's not a truckers hitch as used by truckers daily up and down this country.
 Carolyn 06 Aug 2012
In reply to OwenM:

That's Americans for you....

That site also has the handcuff knot in their section on rescue knots. I'm a little uncertain of its application in mountain rescue!
 Baron Weasel 06 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Cloquet: Ray Mears uses a knot to tension guy lines on his tarp that yu can see on this video: youtube.com/watch?v=Mw3lL-ofBcE&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...