/ Copyright of photos on photo bucket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dominicandave on 09 Aug 2012
If someone goes onto a public photo display site, sees a photo he likes and decides to use it for promotion of a product of his, are there any legalities tied to this?
Alex Ekins - on 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Dominicandave:
It sounds like a copyright infringement to me, here is a useful link - http://www.epuk.org/Opinion/994/stolen-photographs-what-to-do
It might be useful to post links to your pic on Photo Bucket and a link to the offender.
Cheers
Alex
Dominicandave on 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Alex Ekins: Straight away it says 'registered photos', these public photo libraries tend not to be registered (whatever that means and I presume most are the same as me and just uploads them and that's that.
Howard J - on 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: "Registered" was used in the context of US copyright law. So far as I understand it, under UK law you automatically have copyright in your work.

I agree, this looks like copyright infringement.
Monk - on 10 Aug 2012

The Photobucket T&Cs are here http://photobucket.com/terms

Basically, you retain ownership of the photos. BUT by uploading your image and making it public you are accepting the Photobucket terms which permit anyone to use or modify your image, even for commercial purposes:

"If you make your Content public, you grant us a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license (with the right to sublicense) to copy, distribute, publicly perform (e.g., stream it), publicly display (e.g., post it elsewhere), reproduce and create derivative works from it (meaning things based on it), anywhere, whether in print or any kind of electronic version that exists now or later developed, for any purpose, including a commercial purpose.

"You are also giving other Users the right to copy, distribute, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce and create derivative works from it via the Site or third party websites or applications (for example, via services allowing Users to order prints of Content or t-shirts and similar items containing Content, and via social media websites)."

If you think that your photos may be worth reproducing/pinching, put a watermark on them, or reduce the file size so that when blown up they are grainy and useless.
Monk - on 10 Aug 2012
In reply to Monk:

I should add, that this is specific to Photobucket. Other sites will have different terms.

It's also worth noting that Photobucket seems to use quite low resolution files which will not reproduce very well for commercial purposes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.