UKC

portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
snookyb 11 Aug 2012
I'm planning on a trip to Portland as i have heard it is good for outdoor bouldering. are there any specific areas i should go to? As a group, we have varying abilities, so somewhere with a wide range of difficulty would be useful.

also, although it may be out of my skill range, with deep water solo bouldering, doesn't the salt water ruin your shoes? or do you go bare foot? (and isn't that dangerous in regards to breaking toes??)
 phildavies84 11 Aug 2012
In reply to snookyb: Portlands ok. You'll probably be wanting the cuttings boulder field as it seems to have the highest density of problems, although if your confined to the south/south west i'd say that southern sandstone would be a better bet(for bouldering only). If you were to go to Portland you'd probably want to take a rope/draws and do some leading.
Im pretty sure that shoes are fine with salt water btw...
snookyb 11 Aug 2012
In reply to phildavies84: OK thanks, i'll look into southern sandstone, as i haven't done lead climbing yet.

i need new shoes anyway so i wasn't too worried, but i thought i'd check anyway
 bouldermonkey 13 Aug 2012
In reply to snookyb: Portland is pretty sweet for bouldering. The landings are a bit tough so make sure you take a couple of mats, oh and the rock can be sharp so take some tape just in case. 'The Cuttings' and the 'New Cuttings' are good and the boulders are pretty easy to find. If you climb sport there are some good routes too. Enjoy .
 kedvenc72 14 Aug 2012
In reply to snookyb:

It's best to have a bouldering mat for the cutting boulderfield as the landings are rocky. You may also find the problems a bit powerful for the grade since they are quite short problems.

There is the neddyfields bouldering which is more technical climbing with grassier landings. I would probably suggest climbing here first of all. All the problems are on the same edge so the more experienced can guide the less experienced and be more social etc

For DWS look at Cave Hole, temporary lifestyle is a very good intro. and a little further along towards the lighthouse is the red crane traverse (and other fun problems). None too high, easy to get to and great fun. As for the salt water just wash your shoes in clean water at the end of the trip?

have fun.
 PeterJuggler 15 Aug 2012
In reply to phildavies84: I live near Southern Sandstone but I'd still go to Portland if I had the choice. Much better rock and a greater range of problems. SS is OK but almost everything is of a similar style. Plus, the best bouldering venue is High rocks, which costs £10.
 silhouette 15 Aug 2012
In reply to snookyb: Fill in your profile a bit more mate. If you are still very young, folk may be less willing to help you for fear of liability; if you are an adult then just ask on here and I am sure someone would be happy to introduce you to leading; some of the sectors on Portland are very short and benign.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...