UKC

Some advice for a beginner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Amos 15 Aug 2012
Hello,

I've done some climbing before (Indoors and Out)with climbing companies and a scout group, I know how to belay but I want to take my climbing to 'the next level'.I'm 17 and the means I can't really join any mountaineering/climbing clubs, not that there's any near where I am anyway! Any suggestions on how to get more into it, there is an indoor climbing wall near me, it doesn't look too bad, but I haven't got a partner to go with. (Any one need a partner in Taunton for some indoor climbing?)
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
 Howard J 15 Aug 2012
In reply to matta: A lot of climbing clubs won't accept under-18s as formal members because they don't want to get bogged down with a lot of child-protection red tape. However I imagine most would be happy to encourage someone who's keen to get into climbing, and most are happy to allow children of members to participate (perhaps with some restrictions on overnight trips). You'll probably need to find someone willing to act a 'responsible adult' for you, and get your parents' consent. I suggest you get in touch with your local clubs and have a chat with them about it.
 Ava Adore 15 Aug 2012
In reply to matta:

Does Taunton wall have a bouldering wall? If so, go bouldering to start with - it'll improve your strength and technique anyway - and if you get chatting to other boulderers you may end up a) making friends and b) finding occasional climbing partners.

Alternatively, a lot of walls are happy for you to put up notices advertising for climbing partners.
 dale1968 15 Aug 2012
In reply to matta: there's a facebook group for the taunton area http://www.facebook.com/groups/tauntonclimbers/
OP Matt Amos 15 Aug 2012
Cheers. Yeah there's and alright bouldering wall which I use sometimes. And I joined the facebook group so I'll see what I can get Invovled in.
Thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...