UKC

Will it be a good winter?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ralphio 15 Aug 2012
i don't really know a great deal about weather systems but with all the rain we're getting this summer does it mean there's going to be loads of snow this winter?
 isi_o 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:
I don't know about the winter... But what is this rain of which you speak?! Been a very dry summer so far!
In reply to ralphio: My crystal ball says it hopes so!
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

Two things I think we can guarantee, at least in Scotland between October 2012 and May 2013:

1. There will be cracking conditions somewhere some time for those persistent enough to try and find them.
2. There will be new routes.

As far as guarantees go, that's it, I'm afraid. If you want guarantees, climb in Canada
 Horse 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

Just working on this weekends lottery numbers, can I get back to you?
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Horse:

You got last weekend's wrong, you bastard. Where's my fiver?
 Jamie Hageman 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio: As Isi says, summer on the west coast of Scotland has been glorious - the best I can remember - very dry, warm and sunny. I've actually had to water the garden on numerous occasions.

Looking at the rowan berries in Glen Nevis this arvo, this coming winter is going to be excellent. I'm predicting great conditions right the way through from middle of September to beginning of June, no major thaws.

My toenails haven't grown at all in August so far, so early season mixed will be superb.

The wasp nests in my roof are very large right now - a sure sign that snow accumulations will be greatest through northwest to east aspects.

Ben Folds Five are releasing a new album this autumn - The Curtain will be in good condition for at least three months.

I broke another top E string on my Maccaferri - Steall Falls will freeze again.

These are just my own observations, but I tend to find they're pretty accurate
 stonemaster 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman: Yes, but what ARE the lottery numbers this Friday?
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Jamie Hageman:
>
> Ben Folds Five are releasing a new album this autumn - The Curtain will be in good condition for at least three months.

An excellent point there, WJ. How much money do BFF want to release a new album every three weeks?
In reply to ralphio:
> i don't really know a great deal about weather systems but with all the rain we're getting this summer does it mean there's going to be loads of snow this winter?

Absolutely ,it's a nailed on certainty.

I should start sharpening my crampons now if I were you.

In reply to ralphio:

Summer isn't even over yet! Let alone Autumn...
 Billy the fish 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio: Yes. Every winter is good so this one will be too.
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to wee jamie)
> [...]
>
>
> An excellent point there, WJ. How much money do BFF want to release a new album every three weeks?

Well, if you send them a couple of grand they'll record your own version of a song with your lyrics/name etc. Pretty cool, apart from 1. I don't like the song in question, and 2. I don't have a couple of grand.
Still looking forward to the album though!
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012

I couldn't remotely give a flying **** about their music; I just want The Curtain to be in

All clear now?
 Wesley Orvis 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

Exactaweather are predicting the coldest winter for the last century, starting early and finishing late, something to do with sunspot cycle and solar flare activity!!!!
 Jamie B 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

Winter is always good.
In reply to Tim Chappell:
> (In reply to wee jamie)
>
> I couldn't remotely give a flying **** about their music;

I've gone off you. I don't want to talk to you anymore
Tim Chappell 15 Aug 2012

What, you expect me to care that you care more about some transient pop band than about The Curtain?

Come on, who's jilting whom here?
 Andy Mountains 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

Winter is ALWAYS good no matter what anyone says. All you have to do is go look for it
 JasRY 15 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:Not for me im going to be recovering from a fractured back so im going to miss the winter. Im gutted because i had some new axes to use as well!! I hope everyone then has a good and safe winter season.
 JamesRoddie 15 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains:

Much in agreement, despite many people declaring last season "the worst winter ever" I had a great winter with some really memorable routes, some old, some new. It depends so much on your location, free time, enthusiasm and willingness to take a chance.
 GrahamD 16 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:
> does it mean there's going to be loads of snow this winter?

It will be average, plus or minus a bit.
Is the Downfall in nick yet?
Tim Chappell 16 Aug 2012
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

Yes!

<looks again>

Oh, you missed it.
 tspoon1981 16 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio: I'm willing to bet all the change in my pocket, which is a disappointing 19p, that it'll be BBQ weather on Christmas day.
In reply to ralphio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-19288822

According to this we in for a good one!!
 Glen 17 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

We have been plagued for most of the late spring and summer with high latitude 'blocking' high pressure that sends the jet stream and low pressure systems further south, resulting in cooler and wetter than normal conditions (for england ad wales).

If this pattern persists during winter then it will be tremendous (persistent strong high pressure over greenland caused the epic cold period of late 2010), but whether it will or not is anyone's guess.
 BallsOfSteel 17 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

yes
 Jamie B 17 Aug 2012
In reply to ralphio:

This is a pointless discussion, yet it surfaces annually. No amount of crystal-ball gazing can ever second-guess something as ethereal as the weather, but the approach should be the same whatever:

Are you keen on winter climbing? If so, ensure that you go winter climbing whenever you have a day off. If it become obvious that winter climbing will be non-viable due to weather/conditions, sack it off and do something else. This will happen at least once or twice in even the best of seasons. Hopefully you will get plenty of days in, and will have the craft and guile to make the best of the 50/50 days.

At the end of the season, judge how successful it has been. Some will be better than others, but you can't gauge this 'til Easter.
Kevin Rutherford 14 Sep 2012
In reply to ralphio:
http://magicseaweed.com/Sea-Ice-Forecast-Glitch-Content/3981/

This is causing problems with surf forecasting and possibly the reason for our wet Summer? Will be interesting to see if it has any effect over the winter and the position of the jet stream.

Glen 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:
> (In reply to ralphio)
>
> This is a pointless discussion, yet it surfaces annually. No amount of crystal-ball gazing can ever second-guess something as ethereal as the weather

So say you, but the met office says otherwise:

http://tinyurl.com/932tm5j
 Gazlynn 14 Sep 2012
In reply to JYates:

I feel for you fella.

I was injured all last winter with brand new axes too!!! so know what it's like.

good luck with the recovery.

cheers

Gaz
 JasRY 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Gazlynn:
Cheers dude thanks. I am gutted i just hope I dont lose too much for the season after!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...