ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Old Man of Stoer grading

errrrm? - on 16 Aug 2012
I've just returned from a trip to climb the Old Man of Stoer. Climbed on Monday in brief showers.

We climbed it in 4 pitches as per the SMC Scottish Rock Climbs guide book avoiding the traverse as we were there at low tide and walked round the back.
So I'm interested in hearing from folk who, like me, lead at VS (HVS occasionally). The guy I went there with climbs about the same grade.
I found the technical grades from the guide book a bit odd. Pitch 1 I'll ignore as I didn't do it all, pitch 2 I found hard about 5a (hardest move), pitch 3 intimidating but not too technical 4b maybe and pitch 4 maybe 4b again, but not a walkover.

The guide book has them as 1-5a, 2-4b, 3-4b & 4-no tech grade.

I'm just trying to trigger some discussion, don't climb hard and found it very exciting. It was pretty greasy after rain for pitch 2 and we almost bailed from the cave as I felt pitch 3 at 4c would be too hard for me in the conditions. I did lead it and found it much easier than pitch 2.

... not showing 20 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums