/ Old man of stor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mattgc2 on 17 Aug 2012 - customer58401.101.kt.cust.t-mobile.co.uk
Is it allowed to climb the old man of stor? just been told its too dangerous now?
AlH - on 17 Aug 2012
Old Man of Stoer (the seas stack) or the Old Man of Storr (on Skye)? Either way 'allowed' by who?
mattgc2 on 17 Aug 2012 - 31.115.210.68 whois?
In reply to mattgc2: Sry I was not clear. The sea stacks. A friend recently informed me that there was signs up saying climbing was prohibited , was just wondering if there was any truth in it.
Kevin Woods - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: I think Scotland's free access laws would have something to say about that?
mattgc2 on 17 Aug 2012 - host-89-241-228-241.as13285.net
In reply to mattgc2: Yeah I'm assuming the guy was mistaken , just thought I'd see if you guys knew anything .
Michael Gordon - on 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2:

No, there's nothing like that at Stoer.

The Storr pinnacle (Skye) on the other hand has a 'dangerous cliffs'-type sign on the appraoch to it - in terms of rock climbing I think few would disagree!
BigLob - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon:
A few years back a friend and myself went to 'have a look' at the pinnacle to see if it would go. A few feet up he pulled a large block off which hit his shoulder and narrowly missed me on the way down. The noise echoing around the place was scary. Needelss to say we ran away.
Trangia - on 19 Aug 2012

Storr looks very difficult to start and is overhanging all round the base.

In the 1960's I climbed the pinnacle next to it.
henwardian - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: Don't listen to these guys, they evidently have not been there recently. The place is very dangerous now, I was there last week and a storm has washed away most of the rock supporting the stack. The council were there attaching emergency steel cables to hold it up while they do a more permanent number on the base.
I don't think they would want you climbing on it in such a condition. Guess it would be a few weeks at the minimum to properly shore it up.
Personally I'd just let it fall over but the tourist industry probably see it as a symbol they have to try and save.
Yrmenlaf on 19 Aug 2012

There's a quote by ???Patey??? about the Storr on Skye. Something like "We'd been told that the rock was like porridge, which is, of course, a feast fit for a king. This was not"

Y.
Gordon Stainforth - on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

It was an incredible on-sight first ascent by Whillans, wasn't it?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Al Evans on 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: It was Whillans, we tried the second ascent several years later but the base was very overhanging and loose, probably best considered a boulder problem start, after 15ft it looked straightforward.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.