UKC

MSR Miniworks EX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 18 Aug 2012
Anyone had any experiance with it?
 jon 18 Aug 2012
In reply to xplorer:

Yes. We did the John Muir trail in 17 days. It worked fine for 16 of those days, then it became very hard to pump and the amount of water getting through it reduced to a dribble. Despite the blurb saying that you can clean the filter in the field, I failed to improve its performance. We've now got a Katadyn, can't remember the model. It works just as well as the MSR did to start with. Whether it too will block up and become useless, who knows. Also got a Steripen which we haven't used yet. Always carry a back-up supply of iodine tabs or similar.
OP xplorer 18 Aug 2012
In reply to jon:

Cheers, did you clean when home? And did this fix the problem?
 jon 18 Aug 2012
In reply to xplorer:

I think I gave it a go, then bought another filter. We did use it again on another shorter trip - six days - I really can't remember the outcome - except that we now have a Katadyn. This has since been used on another six day trip, so we'll see how it performs in September...

I know this isn't all that much help to you - other than really investigate the problems of cleaning these things in the field. Another thing to look at is the amount of water the filter is 'guaranteed' to pass. The MSR is something like 1000L. Ours came nowhere close to that.
needvert 19 Aug 2012
In reply to xplorer:

I got one. Most use I had of it was paddling down a river with the kind of water the manual warns you to avoid filtering. Clogged hell fast, within 2lt, but cleaning it really did restore performance.

I think it's pretty good. Main complaint seems to be if you let the thing freeze while wet the filter will crack.

It is a bit big, but doesn't weigh too much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...