UKC

Souter Sea Stack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PebblePusher 21 Aug 2012
Hi All,

I am going up to Berwick this bank holiday weekend and have been thinking about having a go at the Souter sea stack. Does anyone know what the conditions are likely to be? How hard is it and what is the approach like? The missus is a competent second but can get freaked out at times so will this be a bit much? Also, what is the descent like? Will I need to leave gear behind or is there likely to be something to belay off?

Living in Sheffield I have not yet done any sea cliff climbing and it is something that I really need to do at some point so this seems like a good opportunity!

Any advice much appreciated.
Cheers.
Chris
 Alex Slipchuk 21 Aug 2012
In reply to PebblePusher: it's a fantastic spot. Leave a note of email on cliff and get some photos sent to you from passing walkers. The cliffs around the area have some fantastic lines. As far as wild camping keep it a secret. Check tides and watch decent. Most Gulls should have left nest. Some pics on the weegy's profile. It is a short route the standard is hvs not too tricky at all. You'll love it. About 30 mins easy stroll in. I would do it again purely for the landscape
In reply to PebblePusher: meant to say, there was suitable tat. It's one ab off, But as is always the case. Tie your chalkbag on with some spare tat
OP PebblePusher 21 Aug 2012
In reply to The Big Man:

That all sounds like a pretty good review for it! Thanks for replying, all I need to do now is talk the missus into it. I think that may well be the crux for the whole idea!!

Chris
 poeticshambles 21 Aug 2012
In reply to PebblePusher: Some good advice there. I went back to college a few years ago, 12 years after leaving school with awful quals. I did chemistry, now just about to start my final year of my degree. It's not too difficult at A level, but, you still have to put the work in. The more you keep reading about general areas of chemistry, the easier it will get. Familiarise yourself with all the basics, and maybe parts of organic, inorganic and physical chem. But, with a good teacher, you will be fine, just put the work in and enjoy it. Was the best thing I've ever done.
 Fraser 21 Aug 2012
In reply to poeticshambles:

Ummmm.......
In reply to poeticshambles:

Er? Sorry what now?
 Mark Bull 21 Aug 2012
In reply to PebblePusher:

I haven't done the route, but calm seas will likely reduce the freak factor significantly!
In reply to PebblePusher: the words fart in a spacesuit come to mind. Either that or ADD!
 Jon Wylie 21 Aug 2012

Did the HVS route round the back (facing the sea) about 4 years back. Great route, very clean, protection pretty good as I remember- 1 abseil. If your doing that just watch the tides for access and if you dont get up it retreat could involve a swim if the tide comes in!

We were orginally going to do the vs original route facing the cliff but it was covered in bird shit and didnt look very inviting. I think it was around this time of year.

Enjoy

Jon
 Macleod 21 Aug 2012

The Ordinary route (HVS round the back) is truly fantastic! I would also highly recommend Plain Sailing (fairly sustained E1 with perfect protection, reasonably high in the grade).

It is worth noting however that some of the rock at the Souter can be a bit snappy, so take care. I'm sure with a bit more traffic most of that would clear up.

Enjoy!
In reply to Jon Wylie:

So there's no need for kids inflatable tyrolean or any of that jazz. Get the tide right and you can walk to the base?

Cheers,
Chris
 Jon Wylie 21 Aug 2012

Yeah, its absolutely fine. You can make it round at low tide without a swim (I think we walked in bare feet up to our knees) then you abseil down the cliff side to finish and, again, walk back. The rock was really clean when we did it so Im guessing it must see a fair bit of traffic

If the first person abs down they can wander back up to the top of the cliff and get a great piccy of the lucky partner on the stack. Worth doing-looks a bit like a min-totem pole but not nearly as hard!

hope that helps

Jon
 Nigel Thomson 21 Aug 2012
In reply to PebblePusher: I won't give you the numbers on it, but as The Big Man says it's a great wee spot. It's a one move wonder protected by an manky old peg and a jobbies nut. I thought it was quite hard for HVS but I was out of my mind on MDMA at the time!
In reply to PebblePusher: It's a cracking wee adventure. I thought it was pretty good value for HVS and i can't remember if i got anything else in at the crux besides the rusty peg. We found the top had been completely stripped of all tat so ended up leaving a wire and rethreading all the pegs etc..Best carry some kit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...