Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Cycling equivalent of a 3 hr Marathon?

Al Evans on 22 Aug 2012
Just inspired by watching the Vuelta de Espana, it statred me remembering an unfillfilled ambition of my youth.
In running I wanted to do a sub 5 min mile (not acheived)
A sub one hour 10 miles (done but not easily and not at first attempt)
A sub 3hr Marathon (done at second attempt and never failed at on several subsequent occaisions)
I also wanted to do a sub hour 20 miles on the bike, all these on certified courses of course. I used to be able to get to work down the A6 in under an hour and that was supposed to be 18 miles, with traffic lights etc, so I was sure I could do 20 ml in a certified race or time trial, I just never got round to it. I'm a bit sad about that now I'm too old, one of the 'misses' of my youth.
Anyhow I got to thinking what is the cycling equivalent of a sub 3 hr marathon? That great fell runner Ray Aucott who only started running as a veteran used to tell me tales of how they would cycle 100 miles to a race, sleep under a bush, do the 100 mile plus race and cycle home again before the weekend was over back for work on Monday. Ray was not a bullshitter!
So I guess it must be something based on 100 miles? Any cyclists out there got any suggestions?
... not showing 34 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums