UKC

Lower Back pain after running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 luke_rob123 24 Aug 2012
After the last 2 runs i have completed i have suffered from lower back pain for a day afterward.

Has anybody else experienced this or have any suggestions how to overcome this problem?

Thanks.
 SonyaD 24 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123: Having good cushioned running shoes and doing Pilates to strengthen back/core muscles helped my back when I first started running as did running off road only until my back was strong enough to cope with the running. Then started on road running and built it up gradually, never going too fast to start and just building up speed and distance gradually. That was all post back surgery and is just my way of coping.
 kylieo 25 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123:
In my (limited) experience, lower back pain after running has always pointed towards tight hamstrings and/or glutes. Stretching these can't hurt, even if it doesn't make the pain go away.
 Loughan 25 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123: get to the physio, they'll diagnose and give the correct exercises to address the issue. It's money well spent.
OP luke_rob123 25 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123: Thanks for the advice. At the time of the last 2 runs i only stretched after the run as i read that i should not stretch before running only after. I think i'll try stretching before next time and try to notice the difference.
rmt 25 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123: If I don't do a really good hamstring stretch both straight after the run, and at the start of the next couple of days I suffer from lower back pain. Do lots of hamstring stretching and see if that helps.
OP luke_rob123 25 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123: Thats great! Thanks mate.
In reply to luke_rob123:

This guy is well worth listening to. He's big on strength, flexibility,posture and breathing. He has other videos on his channel about injuries and muscular imbalances. I really recommend what he says about approaches to back pain as it corresponds with my physio's advice and pilates. So many possibilities to the cause but look at your posture and flexibility first. Then look into your technique, training program, footwear and surface. Obviously if pain persists see your GP.

youtube.com/watch?v=2-RZmGB7rqA&
James Jackson 26 Aug 2012
In reply to luke_rob123:

Stretching before activity should be dynamic stretching; jog a bit, wave your limbs around, do some lunge walking, knee-raises, toe flicks, all that good stuff.

Questionable as to whether stretching before exercise actually achieves anything though. I never bother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...