UKC

starting outside

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 shumidrives 24 Aug 2012
what kit do i need looking to top rope at first what kit do i need ???
 BoulderyDave 24 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives: (Peaks under bridge)

Most important piece of kit is google.co.uk

OP shumidrives 24 Aug 2012
i realy fancied info from real climbers
 BoulderyDave 24 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives: watch the video on ukc http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=2263

by very real climbers. There have been 100s of posts on here about gear, top roping, multipitch etc etc but much better if you search, read and then ask if you have specific questions, no one is going to reply when you haven't searched and read first.
 Jonny2vests 27 Aug 2012
In reply to BoulderyDave:
> no one is going to reply when you haven't searched and read first.

Yeah, he's right I'm afraid. Asking questions like that suggest you know absolutely nothing, where to even start? Filling in your profile might actually be a good start.
In reply to shumidrives: your palindromic sentence shouts troll for itself
 Jamie B 28 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

You need an experienced climbing partner. That's it. They can then advise you on what you need based on what you plan to do together.
 philpaynter 29 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives: Your best bet is to attend a taster session at your local climbing wall where you can askk all the questions you want, also read through peoples posts on here and get an idea of what goes on, but yes research and a good climbing partner are the main thing.
 JIMBO 29 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

there are lots of "how to climbing" books that also list and show what is required...
 Jamie B 29 Aug 2012
In reply to philpaynter:

> Your best bet is to attend a taster session at your local climbing wall where you can ask all the questions you want.

How do you know he's not already a seasoned indoor climber that just wants to move outside? And can you be sure that the average indoor instructor will be able to give him very much advice about an environment that may be equally foreign to them?
 philpaynter 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead: it was just a few ideas thats all
 John_Hat 29 Aug 2012
In reply to shumidrives:

Assuming you've got all the normal kit for climbing inside, you'll obviously need a rope, half-a-dozen screwgates, a few slings, and some nuts, cams, etc for setting anchors.

However, doing this on your own with no training or experience is a bit fraught, its easy to make a mistake and mistakes can be painful or fatal. I'd second taking a course at a local wall (loads of places do wall-to-rock" courses) or persuading a more experienced climber to take you out.

For the latter you'll need to fleash out your profile quite a bit, as people are understandably wary of trusting their life to someone who they know nothing about, so a full profile will help immeasurably.
 Ramblin dave 29 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
Standard observation: if you're keen and committed and you've got basic seconding gear (harness, helmet and nut key) and you can belay a leader safely, your local climbing club should be happy to take you out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...