/ Cleaning Down Sleeping Bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Doghouse - on 27 Aug 2012
Hi - just wondered if anyone has ever had their down bag proffessionally cleaned and if so if they had any recommendations? Was it worth it?

Thanks
stranter - on 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Doghouse:
If it is a 2/3 season bag, I would suggest washing it yourself. I have done it a couple of times in the washing machine with Nikwax down wash, then tumble dried on low with tennis balls (it takes about 3 cycles to dry). The bag comes out clean, smelling fresh and with restored loft.

If you dont want to do it yourself, or its a big bag Rab recommends sending it to W E Franklins in Sheffield. I haven't used the service myself so can't comment, but Im pretty sure they would do a good job.

Hope that helps.
Doghouse - on 28 Aug 2012
In reply to stranter:

Great stuff, thanks Stranter. Big, heavy 4/5 season bag so ideally looking for it to be proffessionally cleaned.
Calski - on 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Doghouse: I have recently used a company in Cumbria - Mountaineering Designs, I think. They also offer restoration for down bags and clothing.

Great service and nice people to speak with on the phone.

Cal
deanstonmassif on 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Doghouse:

I went to the company in Sheffield that RAB recommend. From recollection it cost about 30, but for a 200 sac that seemed worth the piece of mind in a job well done. Rab are keen to warn you in no uncertain terms about the pitfalls of washing it at home.

I always use one of those slinky silk liners now, in order to keep the bag fresher for longer.
stranter - on 28 Aug 2012
In reply to deanstonmassif:
There is no reason not to do it at home. The only thing is if you need to move the bag while wet (ie to a separate drier) Then just handle very carefully to avoid ripping the baffles.

Handling a 4 season bag is different due to the bulk it wont fit in most washing machines and is very heavy when wet. Hence best to send it to professional cleaning.
Andy2 - on 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Doghouse: I had my sleeping bag cleaned by Franklins, Sheffield recently. When I got it back, I honestly thought they'd sent me a new bag ! The difference was amazing. Highly recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.