UKC

I want to learn Trad !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jamieelston 28 Aug 2012
Im keen to get outside more and learn the basic Trad skills such as gear placement, anchors etc etc.

Anybody recommend a good course which would cover all the skills and basics?

Cheers
 lithos 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jamieelston:

join a local club. Might help to put a profile up here so people know whre you are etc
 Brett Ffitch 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jamieelston: If you are looking for a local instructor. Try the AMI (Association of Mountaineering Instructors) website
 GrahamD 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jamieelston:

Local club is an obvious way, but they are not there to 'teach' as such - you will have to be prepared to just 'give it a go' to some extent. If you want a formal couarse then I know people who have done Plas y Brenin courses in the past and were very pleased with them.
PixieNinja 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jamieelston:
My boyfriend did it through our local BMC club, going on the 'skills weekend'. I've been taught most stuff by him and a few of our other climbing friends.
 Jamie Wakeham 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jamieelston:

YHM.

Cheers,
Jamie
In reply to jamieelston: if you're ever in Snowdonia I can offer a day of climbing and teaching you the basics including some coaching.
In reply to jamieelston:
> Anybody recommend a good course which would cover all the skills and basics?

Yes...

I could easily recommend a dozen or so. I could also recommend at least another twenty companies and individuals (in addition to myself) off the top of my head who could easily deliver that training.

As mentioned in an earlier reply, all full members of the Association of Mountaineering Instructors (and any companies displaying the AMI logo) are perfectly placed to deliver that sort of training. That means you are looking at perhaps 200+ individuals, companies and organisations from Cornwall to the Cairngorms.

If you want a specific recommendation you would need to supply far more information:
- what is your existing climbing experience?
- where in the UK do you want a course?
- budget; do you have one? are you more constrained by time or money?
- duration; do you want a 1-day course? a weekend? a week?
- dates; are you flexible or do you have fixed dates?
- do you want/need accommodation and/or catering included?
- is it just for you or do you have a climbing partner/partners who will also want to attend?

To get a rough idea of what sort of thing is available, it is worth looking at the wide range of climbing courses advertised online by Plas y Brenin http://www.pyb.co.uk/courses-rock-climbing.php - although they all include full board accommodation.

As already mentioned, there is no shortage of other providers and especially if there are two (or more) of you, it is very straight-forward to find another company or individual Mountaineering Instructor to deliver tailored training in another location and/or dates that suit you better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...