UKC

Advice Needed- lightweight fell pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aly 29 Aug 2012
Hi all,
I'm looking to get a new fell-running pack and need some advice. I've got an event coming up in Snowdonia which needs basic mountain kit to be carried so I'm looking for recommendations for a good lightweight sack. I would usually run with a 3L bumbag, and also have one of the old Macpac 20amp sacs which I've used for mountain marathons but I don't think the bumbag will cope with the kitlist and the 20L sac is too big.

The kit list is fairly basic but I need to carry waterproof overtrousers & jacket, spare warm clothing (fleece I assume), map, compass, whistle, mobile phone, hat, gloves, blister kit, blizzard pack/foil blanket, nutrition and at least 400ml of fluid.

I think this is pretty standard kit for a lot of mountain races so what do you guys use to carry it? I really like my Macpac sac as it has a slightly longer back so would be willing to buy them again but the OMM and Inov-8 offerings also look good. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to try many of them on before buying so what kind of size will I need? I was thinking 8-10L should be sufficient, or is that too small? Would I be able to cram that into a larger bumbag (~4-5L)? Any packs you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
 Banned User 77 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Aly: Its like shoes, its what fits.. Soloman, OMM, Innov8, Raidlight all do nice bags which will fit the bill, but its more what fits your back. If not too hot i'd rather a rucksack than a heavy bumbag. I don't mind up to 3L OMM bumbags but the bigger yellow one full is a tad of a pain when running.

For all that I'd use a 10L-15L rucksack.
http://www.mbr.co.uk/products/salomon-raid-revo-15-set-49-99/

Steve John B 30 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK: Like Iain says, it's what fits. I couldn't get on with the Salomon, shame as it seemed a good bit of kit. Sticking with oversized vintage Karrimor for now as it's comfy.
 mattrm 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Aly:

They're very expensive, but I really like the Salomon Advanced Skin S-Lab 5. I have the 5l version, but there is a 12l version which would be perfect for what you're talking about.

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/advanced-skin-s-lab-12-set.html
 SFM 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Aly:

That's pretty much what I ran with at the weekend and all fitted nicely in to a Deuter Speedlite 10l.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/deuter/speedlite-10l-backpack-ec026653

As others have said what works for me might not work for you. It does sit high on your back and originally bought it as a multipitch climbing sac(as it's well out the way of my chalkbag) but discovered latterly that it's great for running with.
 steelbru 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Aly:
I'd definitely ensure that there were pockets in the waistbelt so you can get at stuff "on the move" eg gels, gloves etc. You don't want to have to stop and take the sack off to get at stuff, because if you're anything like me you won't bother to save time then end up not performing as well, or getting cold hands, etc.
 tony 30 Aug 2012
In reply to steelbru:
> (In reply to Aly)
> I'd definitely ensure that there were pockets in the waistbelt so you can get at stuff "on the move" eg gels, gloves etc. You don't want to have to stop and take the sack off to get at stuff, because if you're anything like me you won't bother to save time then end up not performing as well, or getting cold hands, etc.

Very good point - pockets in the waistband are really useful.

Something else I've learned to look at is the shaping of the shoulder straps and the likelihood of them rubbing on the neck. I have an OMM 8l sac, and it's fine apart from the fact that the straps rub painfully against my neck. I've found that one way round this is to run in a t-shirt with a collar (a zipped t-shirt), so there's a layer of fabric between the straps and my neck. Still not quite ideal, but it's better than being rubbed raw.
Removed User 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Aly:

I've got an Innov8 race elite 15 which does me for hill running in winter. I don't need all the space for a Summer set of kit but find it fine.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/inov-8-race-elite-15-pack-review.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...