In it’s 10 year history, Ice Factor has established iconic status in the Outdoor Industry. As the Mountaineering Council’s Regional Centre of Excellence and The National Centre for Ice Climbing, we’ve probably trained more people how to ice climb than any other provider on the planet, whilst acting as the catalyst for introducing tens of thousands of people to the rock and mountain. At the same time, we’ve had some outstanding individuals working with us, many of whom have gone on to establish highly successful freelance and guiding businesses.
Ice Factor is now expanding! We are opening a new Ice Climbing Wall at our indoor resort at X-Scape Braehead and seeking to recruit a new team of full time and part time instructors to work with us at that site. Instructors should be minimum SPA with Winter Climbing Experience. For our main site at Kinlochleven, we require a Full Time, Permanent Chief Instructor.
As a Chief Instructor you will be responsible for the day to day running of the Climbing, Mountaineering and Outdoor Activity programme including the management of all instructing staff. As this is a senior role, you will report direct to the Operations Director and the board. You will still be expected to show off your instructing skills routinely and play a fulcrum role in mentoring and developing our instructors.
Pre Requisites for Ice Factor Chief Instructor You will be Degree calibre, with outstanding communications skills. From your track record in management you will be able to demonstrate flexibility and a ‘can-do’ approach to problem solving. You will understand the importance of presentation and a professional manner in a high footfall business environment. You will of course be self motivated and very, very hard working.
- A range of exceptional session delivery skills
- Detailed experience of PPE procedures
- Clarity and focus on importance of guest welfare and customer service excellence
- The ability to be a positive role model to both guests and staff
- A demonstrably excellent approach to team work and management
- A senior level instructor background
- Relevant Business Background / Formal Business Degree would be highly advantageous.
Day to Day Duties may include:
- Risk Assessments Review and Operational Method Statements
- Delivering an effective staff rota to meet the needs of the business
- Developing staff training plans and ongoing training regimen for indoor and outdoor development / NGB ladder.
- Overseeing and performing Duty Manager Functions
- Developing, Driving and Delivering our Outdoor Courses Programme, including –Summer and Winter ML work, Single and Multi Pitch Rock Climbing and our full range Winter Courses Programme.
- Given your senior role in the organization, you will be expected to input into the Retail, Marketing, Capital Expenditure and Budget Programmes taking P&L responsibility for the Activity Dept.
- Salary cost will not be an impediment for the right calibre individual
- Family and Shared accommodation is available, use of company vehicle, flexibility on time off (paid and unpaid leave available for longer expeditions outwith peak trading months) and an uncapped training budget.
If you want a genuine career in the outdoor industry in a progressive and fast moving company, we want to hear from you.