/ Matterhorn conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
pawelx - on 31 Aug 2012
Anyone in the area ATM?
We are about to leave in a few hours, not sure whether there's point in going as the forecast isn't looking great.
graham F - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to pawelx: Snowing hard above 2200m in Arolla. Matterhorn will be plastered.
http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/webcam_matterhorn
pawelx - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to graham F: any idea how long it may take until it's climbable again? we were planning to do some acclimatization, then climb on Wed or Thur
PondLife - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to pawelx: I would change your plans to be honest. The weather looks pretty rubbish up until thursday and it will probably take a few days for the snow to clear after that.
jon on 31 Aug 2012
pawelx - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to PondLife: thanks everyone for replies. I will call the guides office when they re-open in the afternoon at 2pm, and decide then, probably also post here with an update.
I have already turned back once from Solvay hut due to poor conditions so not too keen on spending another week in Zermatt without the summit..
pawelx - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to pawelx: just to update people on conditions.. I called the Guides office in Zermatt.
Has been snowing for a while + largest snowfall expected tonight.
According to the guides office, Thursday is about the earliest one could think of attempting the Matterhorn, and that is on the assumption that it doesn't snow heavily tonight. If it does (and it's likely as per the forecast), then there won't be conditions for the whole of next week.
graham F - on 01 Sep 2012
pawelx - on 02 Sep 2012
In reply to graham F: tonnes of snow, but the weather looks clear.. We called off the trip but no it looks like by Wednesday Matterhorn might very well be climbable again..
blurty - on 02 Sep 2012
Simon4 - on 03 Sep 2012
In reply to graham F: I love the way the webcam is shaking in the wind as it pans.
jon on 03 Sep 2012
In reply to pawelx:
> (In reply to graham F) We called off the trip but no it looks like by Wednesday Matterhorn might very well be climbable again..

No, I think you made the right decision. I think I might have gone somewhere else though, rather than cancelling the trip altogether. It's never a very good idea to just have one objective in mind.
pawelx - on 03 Sep 2012
In reply to jon: I just called the Guides Office and Matterhorn will not be in condition until at least Saturday. So yes the decision we made was the right one.
I agree with you about having other options as back-up, however from what I understand most of the Alps (Eiger/Jungfrau as well as Mont Blanc regions) received similarly large amounts of snow..
Blinder - on 06 Sep 2012
In reply to pawelx: Still. Lot of snow high up. Currently watching lights half way up the Weissmess.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.