/ cham conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James S - on 31 Aug 2012
is anyone out there at the minute/done routes lately? im heading out sunday and just trying to get a general idea of how things are looking. In specific the swiss route on les courtes, I dont know how that holds up in summer so could be wishful thinking. plan b is the frendo if anyones got any info?

cheers,

james
Tobias at Home - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to James S: how long are you out for? frendo is plastered in snow today.
James S - on 31 Aug 2012
In reply to Tobias at Home: only a few days. i get into town on the bus at half 8 morning of the 3rd then leave at half 9 on the night of the 6th. so 4 days in town with potentially 3 climbing days.
walts4 - on 01 Sep 2012
In reply to James S:
The Rouge is plastered with fresh snow, its like November both in temperature & outlook at the moment.

Sure this will soon disapeer once the sun returns, but think that is not due until Tues!
Good luck.
maria85 - on 01 Sep 2012
In reply to James S: What they said. There'll be lots of fresh snow up high, the UTMB this weekend has been rerouted due to too much snow on high passes (ie. hiking trails, not high mountains). 8 degrees and raining in town currently (10am).
James S - on 01 Sep 2012
In reply to maria85: thanks for the replies. i guess i'll just have to wait and see!
cannichoutdoors - on 06 Sep 2012
In reply to James S: Any updates? I'm heading out Saturday and need to pack only one rucksack. Am I looking at valley cragging only, mid level rock ridges, or are the mountain mixed/snow/ice routes accessible again (or likely to be shortly)? The forecast looks on the cool side...
Luca Signorelli - on 06 Sep 2012
In reply to cannichoutdoors:
Weather will be settled and reasonably warm from today to next Wednesday. Recent snowfall has mended the worst of the damage done by the heatwave on thw French side, but on our side conditionsnare dry again from 3500m

From next Wednesday there's a fair chance of serious rain falling for the rest of the week, but it's still something of a guess given the time distance
Dave Searle - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to James S: http://davesearle.me/2012/09/07/mileage/

some blurb at the bottom of my blog post here on current conditions in cham if anyone is interested.
cannichoutdoors - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to James S: cheers luca, dave. Great info as always. Sat at geneva anticipating the week ahead.
Dave Searle - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to James S: http://www.skisickness.com/post/vt403-the-green-needle-and-the-mid-day-spire

Excellent Photo of the North Face of the Jorasses in the link above taken 2 days ago.
Sparks on 13 Sep 2012 - AAnnecy-651-1-320-4.w90-36.abo.wanadoo.fr
Can anyone recommend any PD or AD routes up Mont Blanc from the Chamonix side suitable for the current conditions?
Ramblin dave - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to James S:
Since there's a thread...

Are the tops of the Aigs Rouges / Mont Buet type things likely to be covered in snow at the moment as well, then?
Dave Searle - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Sparks:
> Can anyone recommend any PD or AD routes up Mont Blanc from the Chamonix side suitable for the current conditions?

Not right now, to much snow. Maybe later next week.
Dave Searle - on 13 Sep 2012

> Are the tops of the Aigs Rouges / Mont Buet type things likely to be covered in snow at the moment as well, then?

Not covered but there is a dusting up there right now.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Ramblin dave - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Dave Searle:
Ah okay.

I'm currently trying to get as excited as possible about the valley cragging / bouldering on the grounds that that'll influence the weather and conditions to be good higher up... but I'm superstitious like that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.