UKC

NEWS: 2 X FRI NIGHT VID: Will Stanhope and Alizee Dufraisse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 31 Aug 2012
Will Stanhope Soloing in Squamish, 4 kbThis week's Friday Nighter is a double bill - soloing in Squamish and sport climbing in Spain.

Featuring Will Stanhope and Alizée Dufraisse.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67400

jas wood 31 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC News: why do i not find it sincere when someone mentions 8B before the word beatiful. I cannot abide this crap of pulling faces to simulate "that was close" when quite clearly he found it a path and wasn't derek hersey doing this stuff in the 1800's.
Anyone else agree?
 highrepute 31 Aug 2012
In reply to jas wood: what grade would a route have to be before you found it sincere?
 jas wood 31 Aug 2012
In reply to highrepute: Thats the point ! its nothing to do with the grade how beautiful a route is.
 jas wood 31 Aug 2012
In reply to highrepute:
"Theres an 8B over there which is beautiful" or
"I have just climbed a 40ft hand crack which was awesome" i know which statement i find more sincere.
 mattdebenham 31 Aug 2012
In reply to jas wood: Are you the sort of person who expects everyone in the world to be able to speak English too? She's expressing her thoughts and feelings in a language which isn't her mother tongue, of course she's going to describe it differently to how you would.
And maybe he did find it a path, but he still soloed it, there's a huge amount of risk in any solo, perhaps it was relief. Maybe he was stoked? Or maybe it was his way of expressing that the route was beautiful!
Anyway....chill out! Why be so negative?
 jas wood 03 Sep 2012
In reply to mattdebenham:
I'm not the type of person who expects evryone to speak english.
It wasn't how it was explained, it was/is the constant need to stamp a grade on things (stated before the details of the route) and the grades assumed importance that i was whining about.
re: solo i think it's the whole staging of things a bit irritating and the false faces etc. I like a solo, when my heads in it, and don't do it for the waving crowds and camera men.
I'm not being negative i just don't like what i see/hear :O)
I'm more chilled than penguin piss.
 Robert Durran 03 Sep 2012
In reply to jas wood:
> It wasn't how it was explained, it was/is the constant need to stamp a grade on things (stated before the details of the route) and the grades assumed importance that I was whining about.

It's sport climbing; of course it's all about the grade! Well mostly, anyway
 Niall Grimes 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: Really loved that Alizee Dufraisse profile, found it soothing.
 jas wood 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: I realise that i just don't personally think grades are the be all and end all !
 Robert Durran 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Niall Grimes:
> (In reply to Robert Durran) Really loved that Alizee Dufraisse profile, found it soothing.

Yes, one of the better short sport climbing films - an interesting person.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...