UKC

Shoulder pain when running?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 happy_c 02 Sep 2012
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on why im getting shoulder pains in my left arm when running?

I get no problems when swimming, or any other shoulder exercises at the gym, but really bad pain when running?

My right shoulder was dislocated when i was younger, but that causes no problems!

Really confuses me, unless im doing something wierd with my left arm when running like waving it around like a madman?? haha please help!

Andy
 DaveHK 02 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:

Where exactly does it hurt?
OP happy_c 02 Sep 2012
In reply to DaveHK: TBH its hard to tell, it doesnt feel muscular though, so its hard to pin down where it hurts, but its a dull pain that feels like i want to work the shoulder around to get rid of it, except it doesnt........ I know thats of no use what so ever but thats the best i can do to describe it!
 The New NickB 02 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:

Could it just be a stitch, I sometimes get pain in my right shoulder, always right, which is just a stitch.
 WJV0912 03 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:

Is it almost a nerve strain? I get a similar feeling in my right shoulder when I'm holding it out from my body a lot. Also behind my left shoulder blade and up my neck! The only advice I can give is to stretch lots! Seemed to fix a lot of my complaints
 Roberttaylor 03 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c: Feels like a shard of ice on the inside?

I used to get this, just stretching it out a bit and wearing a windproof worked for me.

Good luck.

R
furrybum 13 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c: Don't know if it's similar, but I get a lot of pain across the top of my shoulder and up to my neck when I run. Do you keep your upper body loose when you run or do you tighten up? What sort of build are you? I have quite big shoulders so they tend to put a bit more strain on joints/muscles when I run.
 maria85 13 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:
I get this too, often comes on after 5-15 minutes but tends to go away again after another 10 mins-ish. If I force my shoulders to relax it eases it a bit, together with dropping my hands so I'm not too crunched up. I wonder if it's cold related as I tend to run in a t-shirt in everything down to full on snow...
 Gav M 13 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:

Might be poor posture when running.
 Sharp 14 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr) TBH its hard to tell, it doesnt feel muscular though, so its hard to pin down where it hurts, but its a dull pain that feels like i want to work the shoulder around to get rid of it, except it doesnt........ I know thats of no use what so ever but thats the best i can do to describe it!

That's not a bad description of shoulder pain I sometimes get. I find if I work the shoulder before I run it stops it. Loosening it up and statically stretching. As you say, it doesn't really seem to stop it if you "work" it after it's started hurting.

Ben
Moggsy 14 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c: Heart attack
 Milesy 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Gav M:
> (In reply to happy_c)
>
> Might be poor posture when running.

Was gona say that. I used to get sore neck from bad posture running until I fixed it. Head up, chest out, shoulders back I was taught.
 nniff 14 Sep 2012
In reply to happy_c:

I get it from time to time - waggle it and it seems to go. No disceranble reason, but uncomfortable to painful whenit happens.

It has to be said that it is a) the least of my troubles when it comes to running and b) not necessarily the most painful part.

Thinking about it, running with a 5kg rucksac (OMM training) might have helped because it hasn't done it since I started that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...