UKC

Honesty.... the reason I admire Alpkit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 03 Sep 2012
Now he's a refreshing level of honesty that so many larger manufacturers could learn from...
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16865&...
I've always liked Alpkit - their gear is first class value and it's this sort of rare transparency that marks them out as a British company that deserves to thrive
cap'nChino 03 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Ha. Good summary. Weirdly makes me want to buy one. Clever marketing.
 stonemaster 03 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Had good dealings with them. Happy to recommend them whole heartedly.
escapay32 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Wow, that is honest, and I concur it does kinda make me want to buy one lol
 Blue Straggler 04 Sep 2012
In reply to cap'nChino:
> (In reply to FrankBooth) Ha. Good summary. Weirdly makes me want to buy one. Clever marketing.

Nothing weird about the perceived £90 saving suggested in bold red font by their "We were expecting this item to retail around £150"

Be honest. If the site was exactly as it is now except lacking that line, would you want it so much?
 stewieatb 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth:

A 1.2kg 1-man tent at Alpkit [build] quality for £60? Yeah, I would still want it. Unfortunately I now don't go walking enough to justify even that on a student budget.
 TobyA 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth:
> - their gear is first class value and it's this sort of rare transparency that marks them out as a British company that deserves to thrive

I think Alpkit is great too, see: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/06/alpkit-in-operation-kayak-tour... for example, but the other way of seeing this is that they are selling off failed prototypes. I'm sure other British tent makers (and indeed clothing manufacturers) get plenty of protos from factories in China which haven't worked well and they get recycled or binned. We as customers never see them (although of course you always end up with some thing coming to the market where you think 'surely no one tested this before it was shipped?').

I do hope they manage to get the tent to work in the future though, because a light one man tent for 150 quid with Alpkit's normal quality and attention to detail would be a superb buy.

galpinos 04 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

> I do hope they manage to get the tent to work in the future though, because a light one man tent for 150 quid with Alpkit's normal quality and attention to detail would be a superb buy.

I got the impression they were giving up on the light 1/2 man as it was too hard to make what they wanted.
 TobyA 04 Sep 2012
In reply to galpinos: Yeah, it doesn't say they are still developing them - but maybe in the future. Like I mention in the blog post, if there is anything wrong with Alpkit its their products going in and out of availability. Good to see they are selling Numos again, but you couldn't get them for quite a long time. Better snap one up as my wife wants one have used mine this summer (my creaky old back was condemned to the RidgeRest!).
 galpinos 04 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

I was keen to get my hands on one (the tent) for the LAMM this year but no joy. We ended up getting an Easton Kilo in a sale which felt like a palace compared to the Laser Comp we have used previously.

I'm going to have to read your blog post over lunch to see what's so good about the Numo, clever ploy Toby! My wife and I have quite a few Alpkit products around the house now, the drybac rucsacks and mountain bike socks are a particular favourite!
 TobyA 04 Sep 2012
In reply to galpinos: I realised my last post is incomprehensible - what I mean is my wife tried my Numo, said it was comfier than our thermarests, and used it for the rest of the holiday! Hence we need a second one I think.
AWR 04 Sep 2012
I love Alpkit stuff...it's great value and works really well. Their customer service is top notch too!

I've recommended them to a few DofE students I've worked with who caught the outdoor bug on their expeds but are students so don't have the money for the more expensive brands.

Long may their current company ethos remain!
 Neil Williams 04 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

"if there is anything wrong with Alpkit its their products going in and out of availability"

Agree. As they're small and lead times are long, though, it's probably too much of a risk for them to overstock.

Neil
 Mark Kemball 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Another voice added to their excellent service record - problems with one of their headtorches - replaced, no quibbles, friendly service.
 mux 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Sorry for the HIjack ...I like them too !

does anyone know of an alternative to the Gordon Dry bag???

I need one for this weekend and they have sold out ..... arrrg !

lithos 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Kemball:

I sent back a busted headtorch, and they just called me up saying its fixed and on its way back :0) al gratis of course.
 Indy 04 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to galpinos) Yeah, it doesn't say they are still developing them - but maybe in the future.

Took a look at this as I'm in the market for a tent and noticed that theres a SALE on! Have to admit I'm in two minds when it comes to Alpkit tents. On the face of it looking at the prices there undoubtedly well priced but In the bit of research I've done its not that hard to get a discount on a Terra Nova or The North Face type tents which narrows the Alpkit price advantage. Both TN and TNF and other similar brands have a history i.e reviews which sort of makes me hesitant with Alpkit. Thats not to say or imply there bad.

Once I've settled on a budget for my commuting bike and bought it the tent is the next big purchase... spring 2013?
 Wee Davie 04 Sep 2012
In reply to mux:

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html#a717

This looks great value! I've had one of their PVC drybags before which was excellent.
 battledroid 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth: Ordered a stack of gear from their site, some of its simple bargains. Super cheap quality pegs, super cheap Ti sporks etc. I thought the honesty in the tent description was great - they basically say that it's got the build quality just not the design. Having seen a few Alpkit tents I was always sold on the build quality.... so for £60 (and the thing folds away tiny.....) I still think it's a bargain.

I nearly bought their two man geodesic tent in the sale... but then gave in and bought an Ortik!
 climber david 04 Sep 2012
In reply to FrankBooth:

had a few dealings with them and every time they have been great. always get a wee hand written thanks which makes you feel that they care about your order.

back on topic, looks like a really good deal as I'm sure I could figure out a way of moving the inner away from the outer a bit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...