/ Songs that sound alike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mark Harding - on 07 Sep 2012
There are some very well know examples of what is either plagarism or one hell of a coincidence. Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin and Taurus by Spirit being one and Hotel California by the Eagles and We Used to Know by Jethro Tull another.
I recently came across a couple of perhaps lesser known examples ...
Fire by Kasabian sounds very(very)like Easy Livin' by Uriah Heap slowed down. And the similarity between the choruses of Take Thats Re-light My Fire and A Story Tellers Night by Magnum is pretty astounding.Anyone else know of any examples that probably wouldn't crop up on a Google search?
Bjartur i Sumarhus on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: Don't think Take That were the original of Re light my fire fyi
Pursued by a bear - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: There's a fine line between sounds similar, inspired by and ripped off. Can't remember the names of the songs - someone will, I'm sure - but two by The Jam and The Beatles sound remarkably alike; and there's a song on The Stone Roses second album that doesn't sound similar to Stairway to Heaven but copies it very badly.

T.
wildeybeast - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: If I'm thinking of the same songs The Beatles one is Taxman, I know the Jam song you mean but can't think of the name.

What about Ob La Di Ob La Da and a terrible Terrorvision song in the 90s (why don't you get a job or something...) - of all the Beatles songs to rip off....!
In reply to Mark Harding: And a Roxy Music song - don't know the name, was never a fan - and Hawkwind's Assault and Battery use the same E/G/F#/A chord progression, and so sound remarkably similar. Well, as similar as you'd reasonably expect them to sound given the rather different inclinations of each band.

T.
prog99 on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding:
Off the top of my head.
New Order - Blue Monday (Which itself ripped off a lot of stuff)
The Cure - The Walk
Darren Jackson - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Start by The Jam and Taxman by The Beatles are the droids you're looking for...
Nige M - on 07 Sep 2012

The Damned - Life Goes On
Killing Joke - Eighties
Nirvana - Come As You Are

Lots of heated debate over the years about these three.
In reply to wildeybeast: Just had a google, and the Beatles song is indeed Taxman as you say; The Jam song is Start. Wikipedia even has a (brief) page about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start!

T.
Milesy - on 07 Sep 2012
Blue Straggler - on 07 Sep 2012

It's A Fine Day by Jane, and the orchestral melody on Kylie's "Confide in Me". Ed Barton successfully sued, I think.
In reply to Nige M:
> (In reply to Mark Harding)
>
> The Damned - Life Goes On
> Killing Joke - Eighties
> Nirvana - Come As You Are
>
> Lots of heated debate over the years about these three.

Hadn't heard of this one before but just been on You Tube and can see why they're controversial.As someone else said there is a fine line between inspired by and ripped off but someone here probably took a bit too much inspiration.

In reply to Milesy:

Ha! Excellent but at least the vocal melodies are different.
Yrmenlaf on 07 Sep 2012

Baa Baa Black Sheep and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Y.
wilkie14c - on 07 Sep 2012
Songs that sound alike
everything that Status Quo have recorded from the last 20 years
Mike Peacock on 07 Sep 2012

Flaming Lips - Fight Test
Cat Stevens - Father and Son
Successfully contested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Test#Plagiarism_controversy

"Lamb of God" by Marilyn Manson also sounds remarkably similar to Radiohead's "Climbing Up The Walls".

Also Dylan's "4th Time Around" and "Norwegian Wood" by the Beatles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4th_Time_Around#Comparisons_to_.22Norwegian_Wood.22
JIMBO on 07 Sep 2012
Zig & Zag, Them girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrQ8-U4UmOE
Reel 2 Reel, I like to move it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyx4v1QFzhQ

Not the same words but the same sound, love it :-) was a favourite mix back in the DJ days...
mark20 - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to mark20:

Ah yes, that's just reminded me of another ELO one. I think they provided a lot of "inspiration" for various people.
The riff from 10538 Orchestra is exactly the same as Changingman by Paul Weller. I think Weller has admitted that he nicked it.To add insult to injury he then called his autobiogrphy Changingman.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC02EnshI5U ELO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WhRpQw8E Weller
Pete Dangerous - on 07 Sep 2012

Most good Oasis tracks. Noel was at his best when he was blatantly ripping off riffs
ads.ukclimbing.com
janiejonesworld - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: absolutely everything by Radiohead, Keane, Coldplay and the like
Chris.Allott - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to janiejonesworld:
All described by my son as "drizzle"...which I kind of understand....
Steve John B - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Pete Gagie:
>
> Most good Oasis tracks. Noel was at his best when he was blatantly ripping off riffs

Heck yeah. Kinda like sampling. I like the T Rex one (Get It On vs Cigarettes and Alcohol)
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: them of stealing one of his

Good thread topic. Coldplay had an interesting court case a few years ago when Joe Satriani accused them of stealing one of his melodies.

Listen to Viva la Vida by Coldplay...

then...

'If i could fly' written by Satch in 2004

'I want you back for good' by Take That and 'Love is all around me' by the Troggs have a similarity about them.

'Perfect' by Pink and 'Jar of Hearts' by Christina Perri

La Bamba and Twist and Shout
Pete Dangerous - on 07 Sep 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fQ1P4Mwlc

The 4 chords of pop.
Mark Harding - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Chris.Allott:
> (In reply to janiejonesworld)
> All described by my son as "drizzle"...which I kind of understand....

Brilliant .... You can't totally ignore it as there is just just enough substance to induce mild drepression. Sums up Coldplay perfectly.

Ridge - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Pete Gagie:
>
> Most good Oasis tracks. Noel was at his best when he was blatantly ripping off riffs

At their worst were ripping off lyrics from kiddies TV series "You and Me" for 'She's Electric"

The start of I Predict a Riot by the Kaiser Chiefs always reminds me of something by The Dead Kennedys.
Ridge - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy:

> Listen to Viva la Vida by Coldplay...

Ripped of a TSB or HSBC commercial?
The New NickB - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> Songs that sound alike
> everything that Status Quo have recorded from the last 20 years

You're getting old blanchie, it is actually more than 40 years since they stopped discovering new cords.
Pete Dangerous - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Ridge:
> (In reply to Pete Gagie)
> [...]
>
> At their worst were ripping off lyrics from kiddies TV series "You and Me" for 'She's Electric"
>
>

And Gary Glitter

Jim Braid - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: My Sweet Lord and He's so fine. Ended up as a legal battle. Here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sweet_Lord#Legal_controversy
Yrmenlaf on 08 Sep 2012

And of course there's John Cages 4'33" and Mike Batts "A Minute's Silence" (although one is longer than the other)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2133426.stm

Y.
subalpine - on 08 Sep 2012
>
> Ah yes, that's just reminded me of another ELO one. I think they provided a lot of "inspiration" for various people.
> The riff from 10538 Orchestra is exactly the same as Changingman by Paul Weller. I think Weller has admitted that he nicked it.To add insult to injury he then called his autobiogrphy Changingman.

sad man
he should have plagiarised like ELO:

ELO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXcwogHe6g
mott the hoople: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCcAn-_KKtU

James90 - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Pete Gagie:

people didn't realise before axis of awsome .... no idea why.
i've been doing different ones in the same ilk.

for example:

you can sing crocodile rock (elton john) of the intro (at half speed) to little shop of horrors. this folows a basic 4 cord sequence.

Or you can look in more interesting places for songs that use or fit over 4 chords if i remember correctly there's one that fits suprisingly well from phantom of the opera.

Pursued by a bear - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to James90: One song to the tune of another has been a fixture on the antidote to panel games for some time.

The singing of Girlfriend In A Coma to the tune of Tiptoe Through The Tulips is such a natural fit it's hard to believe the tune wasn't written for the song.

T.
3leggeddog on 08 Sep 2012

Some candy talking by the jesus and mary chain is living next door to alice with added feedback
coinneach - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Try singing the words of "pinball wizard" by The Who to the tune of Johnny Cash's "Folsom prison Blues"
Glyno - on 08 Sep 2012

'The Promise' by Girls Aloud is a blatant rip-off of the Blankety-Blank theme tune

Mark Harding - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:
>
> Some candy talking by the jesus and mary chain is living next door to alice with added feedback

Hadn't heard Some Candy Talking before but just listened on You Tube and it certainly is! Makes the video look pretty amusing when they are trying to appear so cool and goth.

TiredJazmyn - on 08 Sep 2012

I see 'Axis of Awesome' posted which is awesome so I will have to do another link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM , enjoy.
ads.ukclimbing.com
wcdave - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: Reckon Pete Perret had listened to 'The Cowboy Song' by Thin Lizzy just before writing 'Another Girl, Another Planet'.
stewart murray - on 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: Let's Work Together - Canned Heat / Let's Stick Together - Roxy Music (but not Let's Stay Together - Al Green) ...

Sweet little 16 - Chuck Berry / Surfin' USA - Beachboys
EarlyBird - on 08 Sep 2012

Wire - Three Girl Rhumba
Elastica - Connection

Quite a well known one. Wire are fab!
Sebastian Fontleroy - on 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Lol. I've can remember having a discussion when i was a music student about the validity of John Cage's 4'33". I can remember discussing the validity of an orchestra sitting quiet for that amount of time in the middle of a recital. It was then pointed out to me in all seriousness that 4'33" was a piano part not an orchestral piece. Hmmm
Tom V - on 10 Sep 2012

Adele, "Someone Like You"
Adagio in D Minor from Danny Boyle's "Sunshine"
eltankos - on 10 Sep 2012
10 green bottles and incy wincy spider
El-Mariachi on 11 Sep 2012

'Gotyes' "Somebody I used to know"

and

"Ba ba Black sheep"

However, due to recent human rights and racist enforcements I cant say 'Black' sheep anymore
Bulls Crack - on 11 Sep 2012
Bulls Crack - on 11 Sep 2012
In reply to El-Mariachi:
>
> 'Gotyes' "Somebody I used to know"
>
>
> and
>
>
> "Ba ba Black sheep"
>

Umm Gotye's is a minor major oscillations BBBS is just simple majors C F G

AlasdairM on 11 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: Reach for the Stars by S Club 7 sounds just like the Duck Tales theme tune.
Skip - on 11 Sep 2012

Up Town Top Rankin' by Althea and Donna & Three Piece Suit and Thing by Trinity

The chorus riff in Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana sounds remarkably like the riff in the chorus of More Than a Feeling by Boston
Blue Straggler - on 12 Sep 2012

I always thought the strings on Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" were identical to the intro (and repeated refrain) on Annie Lennox's "Walking on Broken Glass", but a brief check reveals that they aren't particulary melodically close, and Lennox uses piano rather than cello. Yet there is definitely something there!

Mmm-Bop by Hanson vs. I Want To Be the Only One by Eternal feat. Peabo Bryson, though...
andrew ogilvie - on 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Mark Harding: Bombay Calling by Blood Sweat and Tears spin off "its a beautiful day" and Child in Time by Deep Purple.
ena sharples - on 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Sebastian Fontleroy: in three movements-the lid of the piano being raised and closed to indicate the separate movements.
Andy from Aberdeen on 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Milesy: Was just about to post the same link when I found yours!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.