UKC

QR code photo treasure hunt???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 10 Sep 2012
I want to organise a treasure hunt for my daughter's birthday party that uses QR codes, which when scanned will show a photo of the place to find the next QR code.

I've done a quick google search and have found ones where you can create word clues, but it's a party for 5/6 year olds and would prefer them to be able to be a bit more autonomous and photo clues would be much easier for them.

Anyone got any ideas?

Maybe just create my own QR codes and link them photos on a photo hosting website? Would prefer something that didn't require internet access though.
 Hairy Pete 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne:
> Maybe just create my own QR codes and link them photos on a photo hosting website? Would prefer something that didn't require internet access though.

Nice idea, but I think you are limited to linking a QR code to the web, or atleast a local file. The largest QR code will only hold about 3k characters, about enough to make one smallish thumbnail picture.

What will they be using to scan the codes?
Phil Payne 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Hairy Pete:

I was hoping that there might be an app that will let you create QR codes which are stored in the device memory and will allow links to photos stored on the device itself, so no internet needed when playing the game.

I've got a few android tablets that I was hoping to use for it.
 Hairy Pete 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: I'm not familiar with Androids (in fact PCs are about my limit). But, if you have an app that will automatically bring up a webpage, would it be possible to embed a URL in the QR code that points to a local file: something like

file://C:/MyDocuments/Photos etc, or whatever the Android filing system uses?
Phil Payne 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Hairy Pete:

I have no idea either. I was hoping that someone knows about a ready made app that does this as I don't think that between now and Saturday I will be able to teach myself to program and then create an app.
 tehmarks 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne:

If you don't find anything, drop me an email. I might be able to help you out.
 marsbar 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: Why not just print out and laminate the photos? Or maybe I'm missing the point?
 Hairy Pete 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: The apps are out there, just a matter of finding one that suits your purpose without too much tinkering. I gather there is a trend away from apps that automatically link-through to web pages (for security reasons). Have alook at

http://orangeqr.com/android-qr-code-reader-scanner-app-review-roundup/

There are lots of QR encoders too. I use qrencode, it came bundled with Linux.
Phil Payne 10 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to Phil Payne) Why not just print out and laminate the photos? Or maybe I'm missing the point?

That's what I was going to do, but then I thought about an electronic version that might be more fun.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...