/ Learning to climb in Birmingham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
esme.with.squalor on 11 Sep 2012 - 172.16.64.37 [webcache4b.newman.ac.uk]
Hi all,

I started climbing a couple of years ago and really loved it. The problem is, I had a real crisis of confidence and stopped going. Frequently I would not be able to climb because I was so afraid of falling: I'm not afraid of heights per se, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to hold on. After one too many trips to the wall where I got nothing done, I stopped going altogether.

I am now living in Birmingham and I would really like to restart. I think it would be best for me to do some private sessions or a group session with a small number of people.

Does anyone know any instructors or groups that wouldn't mind that I will be very anxious?

Thanks a lot!
ripper - on 12 Sep 2012
In reply to esme.with.squalor: try speaking to the people at Redpoint climbing centre, I'm sure they'll be able to point you at a course/instructor?
SGD - on 12 Sep 2012
In reply to esme.with.squalor: As Ripper suggests you are probably best off contacting one of the Birmingham area climbing walls and having a chat about your needs/concerns and taking it from there. Depending on your location you can choose from Redpoint (Bham city centre), Creation (South of the city centre), Wolf Mountain (Wolverhampton) or Boulder Central (Great Bridge near West Bromwich).

Enjoy
ollieollie - on 12 Sep 2012
In reply to esme.with.squalor: i'm a local, and part of a club that you could join, fill in your profile a bit just in case your a murderer. coupla my mates have done the lead climbing course at creation and they said it was good
Fiskavaig on 12 Sep 2012
In reply to esme.with.squalor: The staff at Redpoint will look after you,just tell them what you told us, and you will be fine.
esme.with.squalor on 12 Sep 2012 - 172.16.64.10 [webcache4c.newman.ac.uk]
In reply to Fiskavaig: Hi everyone, thanks for the advice, I'm down in the south of Birmingham, so will give a couple of those places a try.

Cheers again
ads.ukclimbing.com
7om - on 17 Sep 2012
In reply to esme.with.squalor:
Boulder Central are offering free coaching particularly aimed at beginners every Thursday evening.
http://www.bouldercentral.co.uk/groups-courses/44-free-coaching-night.html
This could be perfect for you.
Hope it helps, Tom

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.