UKC

THE WINNING RECIPE: Jetboil Recipe Competition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 12 Sep 2012
Jetboil Sumo™ Group Cooking System, 4 kb

Thank you to everyone who entered.

The winner is: Dave Spelman of Shrewsbury.

Thanks Dave. I'm sure a few of us will be trying this tasty recipe. A Jetboil Sumo™ Group Cooking System will soon be on its way to you.

Dave's Rough Chorizo and Wild Mushroom Risotto

Read Dave's recipe at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4917

The new Jetboil Sumo™ Group Cooking System is suitable for groups or individuals. Submit a recipe for the Jetboil and be included in the Jetboil Recipe book and stand a chance of winning a Jetboil Sumo™ Group Cooking System.

Olli-C 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: So to win a jetboil you need to already own one?
 alooker 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: not sure if my cup-o-soup recipe will win, saying that my cream of tomato is legendary.
 TobyA 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Olli-C:
> So to win a jetboil you need to already own one?

I'm sure if you're cooking it in a small pot on a pocket rocket, and not in a jetboil, no one needs to know! Anyway, its a different bigger jetboil you can win I suppose.

It's a good idea for a competition though, because cooking in jeboil is to be honest, a total hassle. They have some recipes on their website but they all seem to involve strange American brand name products that I don't know and can't buy, and all the amounts are in bloody cups! What's a cup? I hope everyone who enters this only gives measurements in milliliters and only uses things you can buy in the UK!

Michael Ryan 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Olli-C:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) So to win a jetboil you need to already own one?

What Toby said but..... no you don't have to own a Jetboil to enter, get creative.

What tasty meals can you come up with just having one pot, or using the multiple cooking pan combos?

1 cup U.S = 275ml

As Toby says, this is a UK comp, for a UK Jetboil recipe book, so use UK available food and measurements.

Mick
 Baron Weasel 13 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Looks like an improvement as the original jetboil is a bit all or nothing and normally burns stuff if doing anything more than reheating or simple boiling. Will get my thinking cap on!

The Baron
 galpinos 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH:
> As Toby says, this is a UK comp, for a UK Jetboil recipe book, so use UK available food and measurements.
>

fl oz it is....

Dr.S at work 13 Sep 2012
In reply to galpinos:
just use a fraction of a peck...
 Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2012
All those who have their recipes published in the Jetboil cookbook will get a copy of the cookbook, and will be credited.
 Robert Durran 14 Sep 2012
In reply to alooker:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) not sure if my cup-o-soup recipe will win.

No, it will be beaten by my lukewarm gritty melted snow with last night's tea bag at the bottom of it, served in a cup-o-soup encrusted mug, and consumed with numb hands while trying not to gag.
 galpinos 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran:

Bloody hell, things north of the border must be worse than I'd imagined!
 alooker 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Robert Durran: chili sauce makes everything 'downable'!
 David Coley 17 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: How many recipes can we send in? I've got lots.
 cisco 18 Sep 2012
In reply to galpinos:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKC and UKH)
> [...]
>
>
> fl oz it is....

9.3 or nearly half a pint in old money.

Ron Walker 26 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Olli-C)
> [...]
>
> I'm sure if you're cooking it in a small pot on a pocket rocket, and not in a jetboil, no one needs to know! Anyway, its a different bigger jetboil you can win I suppose.
>
> It's a good idea for a competition though, because cooking in jeboil is to be honest, a total hassle. They have some recipes on their website but they all seem to involve strange American brand name products that I don't know and can't buy, and all the amounts are in bloody cups! What's a cup? I hope everyone who enters this only gives measurements in milliliters and only uses things you can buy in the UK!

A bit strange that the Jetboil website now says that the titanium Sol and Sumo stoves should not be used for cooking food or melting snow...!!!!!

(EN) FOR HEATING / BOILING WATER ONLY!
THESE GUIDELINES APPLY TO JETBOIL® SOL®
TITANIUM AND SUMO® TITANIUM COOKWARE ONLY.
If used without care, in certain situations, the aluminum
FluxRing® may overheat, damaging the cup and reducing
the performance of the system.

Use of Sol® TI or SUMO® TI outside these guidelines may void the Jetboil product warranty.

1) BOILING WATER: For fastest performance, use high heat
when boiling liquid water. Follow normal operating instructions.
Adding non-liquids (soup mix, oatmeal, dehydrated meal, etc.) to
water can result in damage to the cup and fins.

2) DO NOT USE TO MELT SNOW OR ICE: Do not use to
melt snow or ice as improper use may cause the cup to overheat
and fins may be damaged.

3) DO NOT COOK SOUPS OR OTHER FOODS: Sol® TI and
SUMO® TI are ideal for fast and fuel efficient water boiling only.

Do not use for cooking food to avoid potential damage to cooking
cup or FluxRing®.

See http://shop.jetboil.com/files/sol-ti-sumo-ti-quickstart-v4.pdf
 TobyA 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Ron Walker: I read a few ultralight backpacking blogs and there seemed to be a load of people who burnt through new Jetboils - I wonder if it was these ones? Anyway, interesting - and rather limiting! I've melted snow in my classic jetboil fine.
 Ron Walker 26 Sep 2012
In reply to TobyA:

I was surprised myself though had seem some of the blog reports. Melting snow for water was what bought my Ti Sol stove for and it's great. I'd never use it or any other Jetboil for anything other than boiling water!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...