UKC

Fatality on Matterhorn 11/09

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
We were on the Hornli ridge yesterday morning just below the Solvay hut when the body of an Italian soloist fell down the East face in front of us. Since condolences to any friends or relatives on here. It was the most disturbing thing I've ever seen and it took us a long time to get ourselves off the mountain. We've cancelled our Alps trip and gone to Font instead. Stay safe out there everyone. =o(
 Rampikino 12 Sep 2012
In reply to highaltitudebarista:

Sympathies. That must have been harrowing. I'm not sure how I would deal with that myself.

Stay safe.
 Pyreneenemec 12 Sep 2012

Brief news article ( in french ) from Polizeibericht.ch

"Le 11 septembre 2012 vers 08h45, un accident mortel de montagne s'est produit au Cervin. Un alpiniste a perdu la vie.

Selon les premiers éléments de l'enquête, l'alpiniste se trouvait seul pour effectuer l'ascension du Cervin.

A une altitude de 4'000 mètres environ et pour une raison encore indéterminée, il a fait une chute d'environ 800 mètres dans la face est. Des témoins de l'accident ont immédiatement avisé les secours.

Pour des raisons de sécurité, la dépouille n'a pu être acheminée en station que durant l'après-midi par un hélicoptère d'Air Zermatt.

L'identité de la victime est inconnue pour le moment. Une identification formelle est en cours".

Having soloed the Matterhorn myself, I fully realise just how intense an experience it is; the exultation on succeeding, the mental relief of returning safely. Sure, it's not technically difficult, but there's still 1200 metres of it- twice !

My sincere condolences to the yet unamed climbers family.
the beekeeper 16 Sep 2012

sad story. i remember being off route a bit on the way down the Hornli and feeling a bit nervous.
Lots and lots of people solo the Hornli and come back safe - it's sad that this guy didn't get to enjoy his cold beer in zermatt.
 Henry Iddon 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

Any chance of a translation of that on that - or at least an over view of what it says !
 Garbhanach 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Henry Iddon: Google translation
e September 11, 2012 at 08:45, a fatal accident occurred mountain Matterhorn. A climber has died.

According to preliminary investigation, the mountaineer was only to make the ascent of the Matterhorn.

At an altitude of 4,000 meters and for reasons still unknown, it has been a drop of about 800 meters in the east side. Witnesses of the accident immediately notified the emergency services.

For safety reasons, the body could not be routed in that station during the afternoon by a helicopter of Air Zermatt.

The identity of the victim is unknown at this time. A formal identification is underway. "
 James FR 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Garbhanach:

Minor correction: for safety reasons, the body could only be retrieved in the afternoon by helicopter (i.e. not immediately after the accident).

The climber was Italian, a 46 years old man from Pasturo di Valsassina (a village in the mountains north of Milan). His name was Andrea Zaccagni and apparently was an very experienced climber and trail runner. He was soloing when the accident happened.

Here's a recent picture of him

http://lightstorage.ilcittadinomb.it/media/2012/09/391339_6206689_20120914_...

mrchewy 17 Sep 2012
In reply to highaltitudebarista: Sad times.
 Pyreneenemec 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Luca Signorelli:
> (In reply to Mr. K)
>
> The climber was Italian, a 46 years old man from Pasturo di Valsassina <

Thank-you for the additional information.

In reply to the beekeeper:

Those cold beers at the first/last café in Zermatt are, indeed memorable !
I can still feel the "wow" effect, looking to the distant Matterhorn !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...