/ Wadi Rum from Amman

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Elsier on 13 Sep 2012
Hi,

I am going to Wadi Rum in Nov with a group of 3 friends. Can anyone suggest which is the easiest way to get to Wadi Rum from Amman airport?

Thanks Elsie
bullybones - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:
Jump on a bus from Amman to Aqaba (about 3-4h if I remember rightly). Plenty of them stop at Wadi Rum and/or Petra on the way.
john arran - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Taxis are good value and if there are 4 of you I'd be amazed if you couldn't get a price you were more than happy with. May need to do a bit of searching to sort it out before arrival though, since taxis from airports when you just turn up are often very much poorer value. I don't have any taxi contacts to pass on but I expect others will have, or google will probably be friendly too.
Andy Nisbet - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:
> Hi,
>
> I am going to Wadi Rum in Nov with a group of 3 friends. Can anyone suggest which is the easiest way to get to Wadi Rum from Amman airport?
>
> Thanks Elsie

Easiest but not cheapest is to get a taxi from the airport, cost split between three. You'll need to barter a bit. We went to the tourist information and they found someone. But that was 10 years ago, so I'm sure someone will be more up to date. We got a bus back and it was cheaper.

Rich K - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Where you're staying in Wadi Rum may be able to sort out a taxi from the airport for you. I'm not sure how much it would cost, but my guess would be something like 80-100 dinars.
Andy S - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier: we took bus to aqaba and then a taxi. You're turning back on yourself, but it's not too bad.
Robert Durran - on 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

I've used these people on all my trips: http://www.jordantracks.com/
They are based in Rum itself. Will arrange taxi pick up at airport (puting you in Rum in about four hours) and then transport around Rum, and pretty much anything else. I have found them excellent and friendly.
Solaris - on 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Bus from Amman would be cheapest but it'd probably involve dossing in the airport and then getting a bus or taxi into Amman the following morning. Service taxi from Amman would also be a good bet but less colourful than a bus. "Normal" taxi from Queen Alia airport provides a bracing introduction to bartering!

I've only tried hitching from the Aqaba highway into Wadi Rum once but we had quite a long, hot wait despite the volume of traffic.
Elsier on 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Solaris:

What's a service taxi?
Elsier on 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Great, thanks everyone. Does anyone have a taxi contact?
Solaris - on 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Service (pronounced as though you were speaking French) taxis are larger taxis that can take 4 passengers, iirc, and are between buses and normal taxis in price. You'd have to go into downtown Amman to get one, I think.
Dr Toph on 21 Sep 2012
In reply to Solaris:

And be prepared to haggle with taxis... Hard. Prices can be all-together or per-person. Make sure you know which you are talking about.
Also be sure they are taking you where you want to go, be VERY specific. Otherwise you are likely to end up somewhere else that they think you should go.

If you can make it from the airport to the Jetbus station, its very cheap to get down from there to Aquaba (Fixed price. no stops, but comfy aircon, snacks etc), from Aquaba its a short taxi or minibus into WadiRum, plus a chance to stock up on supplies not available in the village, like stove fuel.

Have fun! Its a magical place.
Solaris - on 24 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:

Re haggling - it's important to approach this with the right attitude, I think. People are not - by and large, any more than anywhere else - dishonest or trying to cheat you but it helps to try to see things from their perspective. Treat haggling with a sense of humour and approach it like a game and you'll have fun and should get a decent price. Oh, and remember that Arab culture works on shame and saving face.

There are other skills involved but these are best learned from practice and aren't for divulging on the internet...!
Andy S - on 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Elsier:
> (In reply to Elsier)
>
> Great, thanks everyone. Does anyone have a taxi contact?

You don't need a contact if you're going to Aqaba. We took a bus from the airport and got off near a bus travel agent. I can't tell you exactly how we managed this (I've forgotten), but we went with no prior preparation and just asked locals and people around us etc. We got a bus to Aqaba, arriving there at night and literally just around the corner were several taxis with drivers.

We bartered a price and a man directed us to his friend's taxi. When we got to Wadi Rum the kicked off because apparently he thought it was a different price. Whether or not this is true, what we should have done was to confirm the price with him just before we set off (we had assumed that his friend had told him). The guy went and got the tourist policeman (in Rum village where we were), but eventually the policeman said 'it's up to you'.

You could rock up in Amman airport and get to Wadi Rum successfully no problem with no prior preparation. You'd be fine. But of course it's up to you.
adnix - on 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Andy S:

I'll tell you later how it was but I just booked a van to pick us up at the airport. We are five people and our plane arrives at 2:50AM. We reasoned a pre-arranged transportation enables us to climb on the day of arrival. With a little bit of good luck we'll be at the Visitors Centre well slept at 8:00AM.

The van I got through Mohammad Sa'adat. Tel. +962 795 439075. I got the number from a friend of mine and just sent him a SMS with flight details. He suggested 125JOD and I agreed. He called me to confirm so I guess someone will show up.
Andy S - on 13 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix: it would be useful for everyone to know how it went for you and what the price was. Cheers.
Andy S - on 26 Oct 2012
In reply to adnix: how did it go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.