UKC

Best socks/ sock combination

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BB95 13 Sep 2012
What socks/ sock combination do people wear with there winter mountaineering boots. some say single sock some say liner and oversock combination?

What is your preference??

Cheers guys !!

Bob
 Howardw1968 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:
staying inside in the warm
 bouldery bits 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

These inside: http://www.1000mile.co.uk/walking/1000-mile-tactel-liner-sock/prod_58.html

Big woolly ones outside!

extra warm, no Blisters!
 Sharp 14 Sep 2012
In reply to bouldery bits: Used to use the 1000 mile liners, they do go some way to preventing chaffing. I never found them that warm though, that synthetic stretchy liner is more chilling than having merino next to the skin.

Ben
 Yanis Nayu 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: I've always found left and right to be an effective combination.
 The Lemming 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

It is essential that you wear red socks. Got to keep the traditions alive otherwise the internet will kill everything with every Tom, Dick or Harriet throwing in their tuppences.
 iksander 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: Depends on your boots/ circulation/ the temperature. For moderate cold (to -10 or so) I use Lorpen Heavy Trekker socks and a foil/lambswool insole under my moulded insole
 jonnie3430 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to Bobbirks95) I've always found left and right to be an effective combination.

I agree and am quite upset with my bridgedale summits (which I recommend to the OP for winter,) which are both left...

In fact all my bridgedale socks are left footed. Someone must have a similar number of rights to swap?
 alooker 14 Sep 2012
In reply to jonnie3430: turn one inside out, sorts out my collection of left foot bridgeys.
 Flinticus 14 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
Where ca nyou buty those red socks and what are those long shorts called that you should wear with them?
 nniff 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95:

Super thick Thorlo ones on the inside, and something slightly less thick over the top of those. After two days (maybe one) the inside socks become the outside socks and a fresh pair of big thick ones go inside.

Thicker than most people wear, but it works for me. Nice and toasty too. No cold feet for me, or bruised toes, or blisters.

The smartwool ones (flecks of red) aren't nearly as good as the Thorlo (cream with grey).

I have volume reducers under the insole too.

In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Bobbirks95)
>
> Super thick Thorlo ones ..
> I have volume reducers under the insole too.

sounds like your boots are too big in the first place .
 Sharp 15 Sep 2012
In reply to jonnie3430:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> I agree and am quite upset with my bridgedale summits (which I recommend to the OP for winter,) which are both left...
>

You'd be surprised, some people actually return bridgedale socks stating that they're both for their left feet!
 stonemaster 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: Smartwool liners and outers. Toasty. Good luck.
 Jamie Hageman 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Bobbirks95: I wear Australian made Explorer socks - thick, high wool content, and best of all, most of the Aussie supermarkets sell them and they're very good value. The Inlaws send me a pair every Christmas!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...