Starting Out forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - 6b Beginner Looking for Some Basic Insight

Zen on 15 Sep 2012
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new here and brand new to climbing. I started on the indoor walls at my local Xscape in Glasgow a fortnight ago to overcome my fear of heights and after thirty minutes of climbing my booking time was up, so I had to leave but I was absolutely itching to go back as soon as I had walked out. I'm now a member and hope to take up the sport at least twice a week, every week.

On my first climb I managed a 5+; on my second I began my membership and started to climb the majority of 6a+ climbs bar one or two with trickier crux's; on my third and most recent climb I was starting to push through some tricky 6b's and I now feel it's time to take the sport a little more seriously, I'm completely hooked!

I have few questions though:

1) What gear is worth buying? I only intend to climb indoor and perhaps bouldering walls (trying for the first time next week) for the time being so I'm unsure whether footwear, my own harness, chalk etc. would be worth investing in?

2) Does anyone know of any small-ish (still have a bit of vertigo, easy does it...) outdoor climbs in or near the Glasgow area suitable for beginners?

3) I'm a very light guy (8-and-a-half stone) and 5'8" tall, is there any advice for someone of my build or any obstacles I'll face with my stature when it comes to climbing?

Thanks in advance,

Zen
... not showing 5 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums