UKC

Edelrid Jul, anyone used one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm fairly intrigued by the Edelrid Jul. Has anyone on UKC actually used one regularly?

I'm probably going to buy one anyway out of curiosity but would be very interested in any comments.
 Nick_Scots 02 Oct 2012
Hi,

I bought one for £8 in the TISO shop at RATHO.

Lovely bit of kit, looks nice. I tested it myself with thin ropes and thicker ropes. All top roping. It works well inc. the thicker ropes .

Websites selling the product say differing sizes of dia. to use but the product instructions that come with it say 8.9mm to 12mm. First looks makes you think that thicker ropes will be hard to take in but nope, smooth operation.

It's stainless steel rather than the usual alu. alloy so harder wearing. At first it looks like it only works one way as there is less fillet on one side but again instructions say both sides low/high friction.

My kids group use the clog flyer 2 devices which can lock up on taking in, they try to take in too tight. It's very small and discrete and the plastic coating stops the jangly noise.

So apart from paying out a leader I have tested it and bought another 3 !

Kids think they look cool.
 Nick_Scots 02 Oct 2012
PS A lot of newer device inc. grigri 2, only work with a limited range of diameters of ropes, so at a wall you come across a wide range inc. the furry variety.
 Landy_Dom 03 Oct 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:

I use a KiloJul (equiv to ATC guide) and love it.
In reply to Scott_vzr: Thanks a load for the info. Cheers.
 mrchewy 03 Oct 2012
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Yep - used it for someone leading sports and had no issues. Looks the part too.
 Charlie_Zero 03 Oct 2012

I find it sticks occasionally when taking in, no matter which way around I use it. I've yet to find a single rope device that's better than my BD ATC Sport.
 Nick_Scots 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Charlie_Zero: Are you definitely taking it right up to parallel then take in ?

Last night a girl belaying a lad, small, had the device jam as he laid back to lower, so lotsa friction.

Got a video demo of one at Friedrichshafen this July:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1209

Not had one on review yet but we should do soon.

Alan
 James Thacker 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Hi Alan, The video is of the new Micro-Jul, think the OP is referring to the Jul here at http://www.edelrid.de/en/sports/products/hardware/jul.html
In reply to James Thacker:

Ah yes, you are correct. Still, the micro-jul looks pretty cool I think - just me getting over excited.

I'll try and get a review of one sorted.

Alan
 James Thacker 05 Oct 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Indeed, looking forward to trying a Micro-Jul out myself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...