UKC

Bothy/Munro trip with son?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
My 14yr old has expressed an interest in the munros (I am a Compleater), and I'm keen to capitalise on his enthusiasm before it wanes.

I thought a bagging and bothy trip this weekend might be an idea, and I'm racking my brains as to the best ticks per k with a bothy thrown in.

I've stayed in most of those linked to munro routes as it were, but can't decide the best one for this weekend.

Thoughts?
 Rob Exile Ward 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Ben Alder has to be up there, surely? Cycle in, good bothy and 3 munroes
nickyrannoch 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Ben alder is a good shout

Alternatively

Day 1 - Linn O dee - Beinn Bhreac, Beinna Chaorainn - Hutchy Hut (when it is finished

Day 2 - Hutchy Hut - Beinn Mheadhoin, benn Macdui, Derry caringorm - Hame.

or

Day 1 - Sugar Bowl - Braeriach - Cairn Toul - Sgur an Lochan Uaine - Devils Point - Corrour

Day 2 - Carn a Mhaim - Beinn Macdui - Cairn gorm - Hame

Plenty of scope or variation/ omissions/ walk outs after day 1 on these routes too.
nickyrannoch 17 Sep 2012
In reply to nickyrannoch:

Sorry, didnt notice you said this weekend, scratch the first suggestion.
Slugain Howff 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Knoydart? Endless hill/ bothy combinations. Accessing via Loch Arkaig and Glendessary gives you many weekend suitable options.

S
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

All good 'uns guys, but I've done most of 'em many times. I suppose I'm looking for some inspiration for something new without giving him too tough a day.

Already got an Arkaig trip planned for October, (Kinbreack, one of my favourites), but I may go and see the mice at Sourlies, then back over Sgurr na Ciche et al....

Need to dig out my MBA stuff when I get home........
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to nickyrannoch:

Thanks, both are faves of mine, particularly in winter.
 Horse 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

How about train to Corrour, the up the Munros to the West of Loch Treig and down to the bothy in Lairig Leacach. Next day Stob Ban and a few on the Grey Corries then out to Spean Bridge and train back.
 Jim Braid 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Culra, Shenevall and the one up Glen Finnan at the foot of Sgurr Thuilm whose name escapes me - it's the one with electricity.

Not a bothy but what about Shelter Stone.
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Horse:
Like it - Not stopped at that one, as it was full of squaddies when I did the Grey Corries, so bivvied. It's on the list........
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Jim Braid:
...and I've not been in the Glenfinnan one either......that's the spirit. Easy for late on the Friday night after work too.

And the Shelterstone's a good idea for the lad methinks.....
 Padraig 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

I suppose it depends how fit he & you are really? HOw's about train to Courrour, then weather dependent - walk-in via the Munros (North or South of Loch Ossian) or low-level to Culra. If you're both VERY fit I think there 7 or 8 Munros to be had as a circuit. If not very fit it's a nice walk-in and out.
Slugain Howff 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Something including Cairngorm, Macdui, Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm, Bynack Mor working in the refurbished Ford of Avon refuge?

S
 macmuseeuw 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

How about Callater? 1 hour and a wee bit walk from the road takes you into back of Lochnagar etc. More munros than you can shake a stick at.

Others to consider could be Gorton for Bridge of Orchy hills or Bob Scotts for Southern Cairngorms(on NTS land?)
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
>
> Something including Cairngorm, Macdui, Mheadhoin, Derry Cairngorm, Bynack Mor working in the refurbished Ford of Avon refuge?
>
> S

Yeah, one of my faves is over Fiachaill ridge, down into Etchachan, up and over Derry Cairngorm, Macdui, and then usually a headtorch crossing of Carn a'Mhaim then down to the Corrour. Next day over the Westerly four and back to the Sugarbowl.
It'd be too much for the wee man carrying weekend packs though I reckon.
I was in the new refuge last winter - Splendid job the lads have done, but it's still rather bijou
OP JohnnyW 17 Sep 2012
In reply to macmuseeuw:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
>
> How about Callater? 1 hour and a wee bit walk from the road takes you into back of Lochnagar etc. More munros than you can shake a stick at.
>
> Others to consider could be Gorton for Bridge of Orchy hills or Bob Scotts for Southern Cairngorms(on NTS land?)

I'm avoiding Bob Scotts for the usual reasons, but Gorton isn't a bad idea. What's the track like for a cycle in too? When I did those munros I walked through that lovely scots pine wood.

And as for Callater, I wasn't aware of it. Looks a cracker for the Tolmount lot eh? I just traipsed in and out when I did them. Excellent, thanks.
 Mike-W-99 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:
Never stayed at Callater but its a great location. I'd check out the stalking situation there 1st before going though. I think the estate is fairly open with their plans.
 Mark Kemball 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Shelterstone - when I was up there in July there was a load of portacabins - accomodation for the guys doing path repairs. This would rather spoil the sense of remoteness if they're still there.
 Mike-W-99 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:
Sheicheachan Bothy near Blair Atholl, doable without a car too but a low tick count.
 OMR 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:
> (In reply to macmuseeuw)
> [...]
>
> I'm avoiding Bob Scotts for the usual reasons, but Gorton isn't a bad idea. What's the track like for a cycle in too? When I did those munros I walked through that lovely scots pine wood.
>
> And as for Callater, I wasn't aware of it. Looks a cracker for the Tolmount lot eh? I just traipsed in and out when I did them. Excellent, thanks.

Mixed messages there. Avoiding Bob Scott's for the usual reasons and also praising the guys for doing up the Fords of Avon. If 'the usual reasons' means the people in Scottie's then you're talking about the same guys you just praised.
 bouldery bits 17 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

simply

CLASS
PARENTING.
OP JohnnyW 18 Sep 2012
In reply to OMR:

Aww, you know what I mean. I love the atmosphere at this Bob's and the one before, but it can be a little ott on occasion, and on those occasions, I doubt it's the CBA chaps.

I once had an excellent night at the Corrour with 2 lads from the CBA who were on the way to fix the roof at the Garbh Coire. There was my pal and me, fiddling about with dried pasta, and they had hauled in a wok, and were knocking up a stir-fry. We shared it with them, 2 dutchman and another fella who got in late. It was followed by whisky and Grey Man tall tales. Quality fellows!
OP JohnnyW 18 Sep 2012
In reply to bouldery bits:

Why thank you Sir!

Anything to keep 'em off the Buckfast
 OMR 18 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: No bother Joyhnny, I just get a wee bit sensitive to the automatic knocking BS gets from some in this forum. Maybe the atmosphere does tend more towards robust than to Sunday School or YHA, but as you point out, there's a power of work gets done on maintaining Bob Scott's, the other Cairngorm bothies and bothies further afield - and there's a lot more maintenance needed that is generally appreciated.
So now and then I take the huff a bit, but that doesn't mean I won't offer my seat to anybody that turns up at a bothy.
luibeg 18 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

I had my kids (10 year old daughter, 12 & 14 year old son's) in at Corrour a week and a half ago. They finished school at lunchtime on the Friday (legally!) and we left Cairngorm car park at 1500 hrs. We headed out over Macdui and Carn a'Mhaim and arrived at Corrour at 1930 hrs, there were 4 lads in the bothy and a couple of tents. We had a decent night's sleep although 3 of the lads wanted a sunrise on the Devil's Point! we left at 0830 hrs did the 4 munros and arrived back at the car for 1630 hrs. It was a wee bit claggy high up on the Friday and gusty for the first few hours on Saturday however a great trip and the kids enjoyed immensely. The boys carried their own sleeping bags and mats with Dad's sack a wee bit heavier.

This would be a good choice for your trip however loads of options as already posted. Corryhully at Glenfinnan would be a good first choice as the Harry Potter viaduct is always a good one for the kids. As you will know 'ticking' big days on the west coast normally involve a lot of vertical which can be harder on kids, especially the descents. Our bigger days (except the south Shiel ridge) have been based around higher starting points such as the Cairngorms, Glenshee, Loch Muick and the Mounth, Loch Ericht.

Anyway good luck and I hope you get the lad hooked in as it is great sharing the love of the hills with your kids, that is until you can't keep up!
 fimm 18 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Probably not for this weekend, but there are two bothies on Rum, and Dibidil (the one I've stayed in) is a lovely spot. It is a big day out to do the whole ridge to get there, though, but I think you can cut it short.
(I do know that the hills on Rum are Corbetts!)
 Neil Pratt 19 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

I'd have thought that some of these options might be a bit long for a 14 year old on his first outing, even if he is fairly active and sporty. It takes a wee bit of time for the shoulders/back/feet etc to adjust to the demands of a long steady day on the hills, so I'd have been tempted to go for something shorter, or with more alternative escape routes if he's getting tired or the weather's bad. If your son is knackered halfway round the Cairn Toul/Braeriach plateau, there aren't really any bail out options, and even after you've reached the summit of Braeriach, it's a long walk up and over the Chalmain gap on tired legs and sore feet.

If you wanted to go for a Cairngorms option, why not go over Bynack More to the Fords of Avon Refuge as an easy start on day 1 , then you have a number of options depending on weather/ energy levels ranging from returning the way you've come, to going up and over Cairngorm, or heading up to Loch Etchachan and over Ben Macduibh, then onto Lurcher's Crag, Cairngorm or heading back down. The view over to the CT/Braeriach plateau from up there is pretty spectacular, which might offer motivation for future trips - there's even still a bit of snow sitting in Garbh Choire.

If he likes cake, you want to try and make sure you're back down in time to grab some food at the Mountain Cafe in Aviemore - there's nothing better than noshing through a big slab of their beautiful moist sponge knowing that you've absolutely earned it.

Whatever you choose, hope the trip goes well - it was my dad who sparked my love for being outdoors all those years ago, and my fondest memories of him now he's gone are our days out together on the hills.
OP JohnnyW 21 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Thanks guys all - We have now got to be back for sat night, so it's a late walk-in to Gorton, then walk back over the Bridge of Orchy 4.
Weather looks great, at long last.
 Padraig 21 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Weather looks great, at long last.>

Perfect weather for an overnighter. First frost this morning, had to scrape car. WHoohoo!

OMR 21 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW: Have a good one, and hope your son catches the bug.
OP JohnnyW 22 Sep 2012
In reply to JohnnyW:

Just got back guys.

Had a great walk-in to Gorton between 9.30 and midnight (the ford and bog was interesting in the dark! , with great starry night and zero light pollution of course. He loved his first bothy night, and the firelogs worked a treat.

Today was frosty, but crisp. Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achallader. The poor wee bugger struggled, especially as he was in my Raichle 90 degrees, as they were the only boots I have now that fit him! I took most of the bothy gear, which meant I had a pull too. Boggy, grassy hillsides - There is nothing more soul destroying!
The summits were lovely, with excellent 360 views, including the Ben with it's first snow.

One knackered youngest son, one happy Dad.

Let's hope the rose-tinted endorphines kick in once his stiffness subsides
 Euge 26 Sep 2012
In reply to luibeg: That sounds like a great trip... Never did those hills before so might just to that trip this weekend.

Cheers
E
 Euge 01 Oct 2012
In reply to luibeg:
> (In reply to JohnnyW)
>
> I had my kids (10 year old daughter, 12 & 14 year old son's) in at Corrour a week and a half ago. They finished school at lunchtime on the Friday (legally!) and we left Cairngorm car park at 1500 hrs. We headed out over Macdui and Carn a'Mhaim and arrived at Corrour at 1930 hrs, there were 4 lads in the bothy and a couple of tents. We had a decent night's sleep although 3 of the lads wanted a sunrise on the Devil's Point! we left at 0830 hrs did the 4 munros and arrived back at the car for 1630 hrs. It was a wee bit claggy high up on the Friday and gusty for the first few hours on Saturday however a great trip and the kids enjoyed immensely. The boys carried their own sleeping bags and mats with Dad's sack a wee bit heavier.
>

Luibeg... thanks for this trip description. I did this at the weekend and it was fantastic. My first bothy trip... Fair play for getting to the bothy in 4.5 hours. It took me 7, granted weather was pants (poor visibilty, wind and rain) and I had to backtrack a couple of times... But that is good going. The second day took me 8 hours and what a day.

Thanks
E
luibeg 03 Oct 2012
In reply to Euge: Euge, I'm delighted that you had a great trip and I hope that you are hooked in to these mini expeditions using some of the remote bothies. The second day from Corrour is a really special day which hopefully always lands on a good vis day.

My kids are pretty fit and it was important to get of Carn a'Mhaim in daylight as it is a pretty nastie descent though the hidden boulders especially for 10 year olds with short legs but we always had an escape route down to the Larig from the Macdui/Mhaim col if needed, anyway here's to your future trips.
 Euge 05 Oct 2012
In reply to luibeg: Did you do Lurchers as well on the walk in?
The weather cleared on my descent from MacDui to Carn A Mhaim and I got down to the path just as it got dark...

Second Day started off rubbish but weather cleared at Angel Peak...

Here are my pictures

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151420740953066.581167.83597806...

Thanks again...

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...