ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Taping or using jamming gloves

roberto18 - on 17 Sep 2012
I was brought up on Peak grit and never wore tape whilst climbing cracks as that was only for American climbers, and blood sweat and tears was what Peak and Yorkshire Grit is all about. Although on a recent trip to the Alps I found a jamming glove on a glacier and thought I would give it a try on Majorette Thatcher (E3 5c jamming crack). So with one hand taped and the other wearing a jamming glove I set off. The crux is on the second pitch which is an overhanging fist crack. Amazingly I freed it (i've never been that good at jamming)and the glove definitely helped.

When I got back to the peak I thought I would give it a go, it made jamming so much nicer and I don't leave with blood all over my hands. I might even get on the VICE!!!. I have always been deterred by this route after seeing what it did to my mates hands and I never bothered getting on it.

So what does everyone else think? are gloves and tape the way forward or does British stubbornness and ethics mean that it should be left for the American pansy's?
... not showing 28 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums